Are silencers Legal?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by joseph2213, Apr 1, 2005.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Those are some nice toys you have there.

All of a sudden I feel a bad case of the "I wants" coming on. I always know when I am coming down with the "I wants", because my butt starts to burn right under my wallet.
  2. WoofersInc

WoofersInc New Member

Actually they are a very valuable tool for teaching new shooters. I have a couple of 22LR suppressors and several guns that they can be mounted on. Having somebody brand new to the sport, it allows you to teach them with basically no noise and no recoil. It also allows us not to have to wear hearing protection for the beginning training so everything can be heard from both our perspectives. Having someone start off without worrying about flinching is a much faster road to good shooting.

Then of course there is the fact that they are just plain fun.
  3. InfiniteArms

InfiniteArms New Member

Actually they were included in the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934 because the federal Fish and Wildlife department was worried about them making it easier to poach game during the great depression.
  4. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi ya'll ! In Italy silencers are not legal.
  5. Larry Taylor

Larry Taylor New Member

YES! I OWN TWO, A 9MM AND A 22LR. YOU NEED TO PAY THE $200 TO THE ATF AND GET THEIR APPROVAL. THE PAPERWORK TAKES A WHILE BUT IS DOABLE.
  6. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Let me tell you how you actually get a suppressor since I’m going thru the process right now. First thing it’s a class 2 license not a class 3. You first have to find out if suppressors are legal in your state. Remember state and federal have different stance on this. If it is legal in your state you call up the ATF and request a class 2 packet with an 1140 form to be sent to you. I know you conspiracy nuts are freaking out right now but it really isn’t a big deal. Once you get your packet you fill it out, include a photo, and pay a onetime $200 tax fee. Now for the hard part, you have to go to your local Sheriff or Police Chief and explain to him that you will be constructing a suppressor or short barrel rifle (example; Glock with a stock). The local cops usually don’t understand federal law and may not understand what is going on but be professional and explain what you are doing and why. Usually the will sign the form. You send it all in and in about 4 to 6 weeks you have your tax stamp. If you contact a suppressor manufacture, many times they will guide you thru the process.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

From all the reading I've done, they are legal to own in Washington State, provided you jump through all the hoops.

However, it's also my understanding that they're illegal to use.:rolleyes:
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

As far as I know, silencers are legal in states that do not still have Assault Weapons Ban laws. They can be owned if you pay the $200 tax to the ATF for each one you own or make. I am not sure, but I think they also need to be registered with the ATF.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It is not a license. Period. Not class 2, not class 3, not class 87. IT IS NOT A LICENSE, IT IS A TAX.

Dealers that have a license to sell NFA items have a Type 3 Special Occupation Tax Federal Firearms License. That's probably where "class 3" came from - from someone misunderstanding or misremembering "Type 3 SOT". But the guy that buys the machinegun, or the sawed off shotgun, or the silencer does not have a license. There is no license. It is a one-time tax.

If you are in the business of making silencers, you get a Type 2 SOT FFL. Type 3 is for selling. Type 2 is for making.

If you are making one silencer, for your own use, you fill out and send in an NFA Form 1. This is an application to make and register a firearm. You don't need a Type 2 SOT. You are not in the business of making silencers. You fill out and send in a Form 1. http://www.titleii.com/pdf/010205-Form1.pdf

If you are buying the silencer from someone else, you fill out and send in an NFA Form 4. This is an application to transfer a firearm. Again, you don't need a Type 2 SOT. You are not making them to sell. You are buying one from someone. All you need is to fill out a Form 4. http://www.atfmachinegun.com/form4.pdf
  10. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

My bad when I asked for the packet I said class 2 and wasn't corrected by the ATF. I think it is a term many use. I do understand it is a one time tax stamp and not a license that needs to be renewed. Sorry if I struck nerve.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. Suppressed

Suppressed New Member

This is absolutely true. The irony is that mufflers are (generally) required by law on cars and people tend to get angry if you drive around with open headers or a blown muffler. Yet, put one on a firearm and suddenly people think you're some kind of law-breaking extremist, CIA assassin, elite LEO / SF military, or a Hollywood Ninja. All of the legal complexities for suppressors fuel further drama, like this thread, where people claim that suppressors aren't for the general public or are only for 1 out of 10,000 people. The fact is, acquiring a suppressor takes nothing more than 3 to 6 months, a $200 tax stamp, and essentially, being able to own a firearm lawfully. (That's really the extent of the background check.) There's no reason that every law-abiding gun-owner couldn't own one. (provided it was in accordance with state laws)

They're easy to get, the process is just so rarely used that it's misunderstood and the rarity of the usage gets turned into statements based on assumption that they're somehow hard to get.

The soldiers in the US Army (ASI B4) and the USMC (MOS 0317) would disagree with you. Suppressors hide the sound of the muzzle blast even on supersonic projectiles shot from great distances. Suppressors are incredibly valuable to the folks serving in these fields. Suppressors are valuable even at 600 to 1,200+ yards, given the right weapon system. This is all from a tactical standpoint of the enemy hearing your shots. Of course, every soldier who's had a mag-dump over his head in a HMMWV probably wishes the trigger-happy yahoo doing the mag-dump had a can on the end of his bang-stick.

Suppressors are of great value to anyone, anywhere for the purposes of reducing hearing damage. I'm actually rather surprised that we don't have the attitude of the Finns. In Finland it's considered bad etiquette to be at the range or hunting without a suppressor. Keeping your firearm from damaging the hearing of everyone around you has an inherent value. (This is something I'm shocked OSHA hasn't jumped on.)

It's far more fun when your .45 ACP sounds like a paintball gun and your 7.62x51 sounds like a .22 LR. Plus, there's nothing more fun than a controlled burst from an MP-5 SD without hearing protection. (All you hear is loud spurts of air and the action cycling like mad. It's amazing, not quite Hollywood quiet, but still pretty darned cool.)
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  12. CLAYBMG50

CLAYBMG50 New Member

ACTUALLY 37 STATES HAVE MADE SILENCERS LEGAL ACCORDING TO WWW.AACCANU.COM WITHOUT A CLASS III. BATF PAPERWORK IS REQUIRED BUT NOT THE FEW GRAND FOR CLASSIII LICENSE....CHECK IT OUT.THEY SEEM TO BE LEGAL IN N. C. SO I PLAN TO GET ONE FOR MY WALTHER P22.....
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Yeah, they can be had by private individuals. It's not quite as easy as going to the store and buying milk, but it's not particularly difficult.

There is a pawn shop in the town where my parents live that is a manufacturer of silencers. They sell a package deal on them with the Walther P-22s, and they seem to move them at a pretty good clip.
  14. dammitman

dammitman Member

did you know that the BATF&E processed over 890,000 applications last year for suppressors, machine guns, FFL licences and such? thats just one years worth,,,,,,,
  15. piratesover40

piratesover40 New Member

You're kidding right? Suppressors since there is no such thing as a silencer are legal in most states. Check to see if ours id one. NFA.com has suppressors along with Subguns.com. I have 3.
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

This was corrected 6 years ago.

Also, there is such a thing as a silencer. They guy who invented the device, Hiram Maxim, named it a "silencer." When you invent something, you tend to get naming rights.
  17. piratesover40

piratesover40 New Member

No matter what you think you can't silance a firearm but you can suppress it.
  18. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

It has nothing to do with "what he thinks", friend... He is stating facts. No one is arguing the fact that you can't make a frikkin BB gun completely silent...

No he wasn't kidding, he was mistaken... Read the thread and you'll find that this was corrected long ago.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  19. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

First of all, never argue with a retired Jurist.

As I stated in a prior post. I can legally 'own' one if I pay the man and jump through the hoops. I can even attach if to a firearm. If I pull the trigger, I'm breaking the law. The same holds true for SMGs. Sure, I can own one, but I can't shoot it (legally).

Personaly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. The only thing they are marginally effective on is something that shoots subsonic ammo, and is of small caliber.

There is no reason I can think of to own one of these other than the cool factor.

The pfft, pfft, pfft that hollywood puts out simply isn't true. People seem to think if they have one, they can go around the neighborhood shooting up stuff and not get caught. Ain't gonna happen. Instead of going BANG!, it goes BANG. I don't know about you, but I can tell the difference between a firecracker and a gun shot.
    And it ain't the volume that makes the difference. The sound of gunfire is no different at 50 yards than it is at 12 blocks.

I'd rather use the money to buy a few thousand rounds of ammo. But that's me.
  20. piratesover40

piratesover40 New Member

Actually I have a Ruger MKII suppressed .22 made by Coastl that is Hollywood quiet. I know you won't believe it and that's your right but it's true. I use 60gr. sub-sonic ammo. My 2 9mm's are not as quiet but I use 158gr. ammo to makr it quieter. I know this is an old post but every once in awhile you need to shake it up now and then. I shoot my suppressed guns and my MAC-10 in my back yard all the time. I live in the country so I can do that.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011