Are silencers Legal?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by joseph2213, Apr 1, 2005.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

This was corrected 6 years ago.

Also, there is such a thing as a silencer. They guy who invented the device, Hiram Maxim, named it a "silencer." When you invent something, you tend to get naming rights.
  2. piratesover40

piratesover40 New Member

No matter what you think you can't silance a firearm but you can suppress it.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

It has nothing to do with "what he thinks", friend... He is stating facts. No one is arguing the fact that you can't make a frikkin BB gun completely silent...

No he wasn't kidding, he was mistaken... Read the thread and you'll find that this was corrected long ago.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

First of all, never argue with a retired Jurist.

As I stated in a prior post. I can legally 'own' one if I pay the man and jump through the hoops. I can even attach if to a firearm. If I pull the trigger, I'm breaking the law. The same holds true for SMGs. Sure, I can own one, but I can't shoot it (legally).

Personaly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. The only thing they are marginally effective on is something that shoots subsonic ammo, and is of small caliber.

There is no reason I can think of to own one of these other than the cool factor.

The pfft, pfft, pfft that hollywood puts out simply isn't true. People seem to think if they have one, they can go around the neighborhood shooting up stuff and not get caught. Ain't gonna happen. Instead of going BANG!, it goes BANG. I don't know about you, but I can tell the difference between a firecracker and a gun shot.
    And it ain't the volume that makes the difference. The sound of gunfire is no different at 50 yards than it is at 12 blocks.

I'd rather use the money to buy a few thousand rounds of ammo. But that's me.
  5. piratesover40

piratesover40 New Member

Actually I have a Ruger MKII suppressed .22 made by Coastl that is Hollywood quiet. I know you won't believe it and that's your right but it's true. I use 60gr. sub-sonic ammo. My 2 9mm's are not as quiet but I use 158gr. ammo to makr it quieter. I know this is an old post but every once in awhile you need to shake it up now and then. I shoot my suppressed guns and my MAC-10 in my back yard all the time. I live in the country so I can do that.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've been very impressed with silencers on .22s. Even on many of the centerfires, they do enough that hearing protection is not necessary.

If you live far enough in the country, you don't even need the silencers! :D That's what I do.
  7. piratesover40

piratesover40 New Member

I use them so I don't need hearing protaction too. I also lie to hear the "Tink'' sound the bullet makes when it hits the metal targets I have set up.