Are there any 3 days longer than the 3 day wait???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jeveretts, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jeveretts

jeveretts New Member

Some of you might remember I posted a month ago, I was going to buy a NOS 1966 Ruger (non MKI) Automatic pistol still in the box, but the seller wanted to take my personal info for a private sale, and I was not ok with that.
    Well, after a good bit of shopping around, I bought a brand new MKIII Standard 6" yesterday!! God I am so excited, we have a 3 day wait here so I can't pick it up until next Tuesday. These are going the be the longest 3 days of my life, probably because it is more like 6 days with the weeked :eek:

I will post some pics when I get it, even though everybody has seen about a zillion of em, but NOBODY has seen my first one :D

I do have a question though, I am starting to raise rabbits for meat and self sustainability, is there a very quiet round I can use to dispatch a rabbit in my suburban back yard that won't alarm the neighbors?
    Also, I am quite nervous about stripping/re-assembling this thing, there are lots of horror stories online, what are your thoughts? any tips tricks?
  2. ColeW

ColeW New Member

I actually have a new Ruger mkIII target and my advice to you is keep calm and remember to be very very patient when disassembling. Watch the videos online and I cannot tell you how much you need to just keep calm :). It's a GREAT gun so in my opinion the nightmare that is disassembling and assembling this gun is worth it. Be careful not to damage anything when you're taking it apart. Some of the steps require a little force. I've only taken mine apart a few times and it is true that it gets a little easier each time.
  3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Technically its a 5 day wait, because the day of the sale & the day after don't count in many states...

Watch the Utube vids...over & over & over...or get the AGI Mark series DVD, it'll hand-walk you thru it.

They are a PITA to diss/reassemble tho...
  4. toppkatt

toppkatt New Member

That's why you never but guns in the fall when the clocks 'fall back'. Just means an extra hour you spend waiting. :)
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    The night before a navy ship pulls into home port after a long cruise. Trust me, us old salts know these things.

For the woman being stalked by a deranged lover it isn't a long wait it is a criminal offense being perpetrated on her in order to make life safer for rapists and murderers.
  6. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

My 3 day wait is going to take 10 calendar days. I bought a Bursa .380 on the 10th, I can't come after it until the 20th. :confused:
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

NEVER give any info to a personal buyer...thats BS. In Florida if you have a CCW there is no wait. I have never waited on any firearm.
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

God bless you for having to live in California.
  9. jeveretts

jeveretts New Member

I am beginning to think the waiting period is for you to buy more crap! I have bought extra magazines, a holster, I still spend most of my days looking at grips and other goodies.
  10. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Clips and holster but nothing else. This place is a little pricy because it's small. I'll buy my other goodies at Bass Pro Shops.
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Bass Pro or on line...you can get some great deals in other places
  12. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

yes!
    Waiting for your special part to get your firearm fucntional again after she breaks down.
    ok any car lover can also appreciate this too.
    &
    In Indiana it's longer..... in the 80's i had to wait 7 days!!!! :banghead:
    yup an entire week for my first bought new pistol. BTW it's a Browning Challenger III ans she still shoots great 25 yrs or so later.
  13. jeveretts

jeveretts New Member

Tomorrow is the day! Told my wife i was gonna leave work at lunch, go get it, and then spent the whole afternoon trying to put it back together! :D

I will surely put some pics up tomorroe.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

good luck don't worry everyone on here will help u i don't think you can do it the 1st time without being nervous
  15. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Yeah try a 10 day waiting period. I picked up my rifle 240 hours and 5 minutes after filling out DROS. Just think of it as, "Next time I'll buy a gun 10 days sooner!"
  16. jeveretts

jeveretts New Member

I hear ya, i shoulda bought this one 3 days earlier, got about 2 more hours. Will put up some pics for sure. I hear the new standards are drilled and tapped from the factory. I was thinking a small scope would be in order, i dont want anything that would rely on batteries in case they aren't available for whatever reason, recommendations?
  17. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Well, today is my 10th day.
    Can't pick it up today because I work remote from home. I'll have to pick it up Saturday.
  18. jeveretts

jeveretts New Member

I got it!
    I immediatly took it apart, easy peasy. However, putting it back together, that was a learning experience. I was able to remove the main spring assembly fine, and remove the bolt and barrel assembly. Putting it back together took a bit of trial and error.

Once you realize how the hammer works, it is easy, it seems it would be easier on a MKII to me since you wouldn't have to put a magaine in to decock it. The way I found worked for me, was to put the barrel on the frame and tap it on the muzzle with a rubber mallet to seat it, then I reach my pinky in the back and pull the hammer down, then put the bolt in, then while holding the bolt in, I put an empty magazine in, with the muzzle still pointed down, and with the end of my cleaning rod, push the hammer forward and press the trigger to decock. Then, I removed the magazine, and put the pin part of the main spring assembly in, when that went in all the way, which took a little bit of wiggling, I then pointed the muzzle up and let that little stick dangle right into the mainspring housing slot, then it closed right up. I can charge it and dry fire it fine once a magazine was reinserted... sound good? Oh, and here is a crappy pic from my iphone.

[​IMG]
  19. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Woohoo! Now go shoot it.
  20. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Don't dry fire a rimfire - you'll damage the firing pin and the chamber.