Are you a Methodist?

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by RunningOnMT, Oct 30, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Just happened to run across this article you might want to read.

http://umc-gbcs.org/press-releases/pray-for-victims-of-aurora-colo.-shooting

Pray for victims of Aurora, Colo., shooting

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - July 20, 2012

The General Board of Church & Society of The United Methodist Church urges all people to pray for the victims of the Friday shooting at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., a suburb of Denver. Thus far, 12 people were killed and 50 more wounded, including a baby, at a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises,” a highly anticipated Batman movie.

We grieve at the tragic loss of life and the needless injuries — especially when so many of the victims are so young.

The United Methodist Church considers it a priority public health issue to prevent firearm-related death and injury. In its resolution on “Gun Violence,” the denomination calls for social policies and personal lifestyles that bring an end to senseless gun violence, including a ban on all handguns.

Equal to our sadness at this tragic loss of life is our disappointment at Congress’ inability to place public safety above the interests of the National Rifle Assn. Our society can no longer afford to allow the power of the gun lobby in its efforts to ensure ownership without responsibility to keep Congress mute on this pressing public-safety issue.

Some of the most common-sense policies that Congress could enact quickly include:
    instituting background checks on all gun sales, including at gun shows;
    limiting bulk sales of guns intended to be illegally resold; and
    reinstating the ban on sale of military assault weapons to civilians.

We believe these simple policies would help lessen the increasing violence associated with the current absence of effective gun regulations. In the face of mounting gun-related killings, it is imperative for Congress to take action.

We all must pray for the victims of gun violence, and all of us — including Congress — must act to prevent such needless tragedy in the future.

The General Board of Church & Society is one of four international general program boards of The United Methodist Church. Prime responsibility of the board is to seek implementation of the Social Principles and other policy statements on Christian social concerns of the General Conference, the denomination’s highest policy-making body. The board’s primary areas of ministry are Advocacy, Education & Leadership Formation, United Nations & International Affairs, and resourcing these areas for the denomination. It has offices on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., and at the Church Center for the United Nations in New York City.

— Jim Winkler, General Secretary, General Board of Church & Society

— Bill Mefford, Director of Civil & Human Rights, General Board of Church & Society
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Answer to the question is...No.
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thought that was interesting. I have been researching what the various Protestant denominations believe and have had some surprises. You wouldn't believe what the church I was raised in is now espousing. Past members are rolling over in their graves.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

:lmao: :lmao:

Yes I am. I've got to pass this on. Half of our congregatiin are the gun toting, christian conservatives that cnn warns you about. That includes our pastor.
  5. FreeSovereign

FreeSovereign New Member

Yip my preacher is one, and he is a c.c.'er. I don't now if that makes me one but I attend worship service there. They used to be tee totalers, conservative, straight and narrow, but like all Christiandom have been overrun by liberal agenda factions. Sadly the church worldwide has been in decline for some time. A revival is desperately needed. Pray for revival.
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Recall Terry's signature line...Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, etc. etc. etc. have all kinds of people in them, some are solid, some are pure mush. Unfortunately many large so-called mainstream denominations have lost touch with what God says in the Bible and have substituted humanisim for the Bible. There are individual congregations, members, pastors in these denominations who still have solid values, but the denominations' scriptural foundations as a whole are crumbling.
  7. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

I am a United Methodist.

This is not the first time that: The United Methodist Church has taken a stance that is in opposition to that of it's members.

A number of years, decades I think, ago. The Ruling Council basically stated that a woman should allow herself, as well as her children be raped and/or murdered, rather than resist with deadly force.

I disagreed with that policy, as I disagree with the current position of the church's ruling council. That said, I am a United Methodist for it's theological stand,and not it's social stance.

That said, please read: Luke 22:36
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I go to a baptist church, but there are many different baptist organizations. So to narrow it down ever further, I am a follower of Christ.

Amen.
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I can understand that. My late sister and her husband were lifelong members of the United Methodist Church, as are my brother and his wife. My parents switched to a Methodist church when they moved away from the old neighborhood. They all express concerns about some issues but remain adherents to the fundamental Methodist doctrines. As for the UMC being anti-gun, though I strongly disagree with their position, I don't think it violates scripture.

However, the church I was raised in, The United Church of Christ (formerly E&R), has changed drastically from what they believed when I was a kid. Listed first in the tenets of their church is that they are "gay affirming" and the belief that homosexuality is not a sin. The pastor of the specific church I attended (and was married in), wont even perform marriages of heterosexual couples as long as the state doesn't recognize LGBT marriages. So only civil unions for everybody...that's absurd.

Furthermore they wholeheartedly endorse a pregnant woman's right to choose an abortion. They also ordain women as ministers...which is prohibited in scripture.

To top it off they endorse Obamacare, and just about every other item on the liberal agenda. It's all in print on the UCC site.

Despite the forum policy of not criticizing other faiths, I feel that I being one baptized and confirmed in the UCC, am justified in saying that this church denomination is now committing damnable heresies. I don't see how anyone who proclaims Jesus Christ as Lord could be a member of the UCC.
  10. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

No.

The church is not a denomination, set of theological rules, or a brick and mortar building. It's making the Great Commission a way of life. It's living as a disciple of Jesus Christ. You and I are the church. So if the church is not doing it's job in America, we need only look in the mirror to to find the solution.

Theology is useless if it's not leading folks to God the Father through Jesus.

It's even more useless when the leadership produce such powerless and self serving as mentioned here.
  11. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

No.
    Our church is not affiliated with ANY denomination on earth.
    No one at some headquarters in New York City or on the Left Coast makes decisions regarding our belief or style of worship.
    We follow the teachings of Christ as recorded in the Bible.

And He tells us it is more important to be armed than it is to be dressed:
    Luke 22:36 (MSG);
    36 He said, "This is different. Get ready for trouble. Look to what you'll need; there are difficult times ahead. Pawn your coat and get a sword.

A sword was THE personal defense weapon of the day; Christ was directing us to be armed with the weapon of the day, which today is a gun.

And He tells us that a man is expected to defend his home:
    Mark 3:27 (KJV);
    27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

And we figured that all out without some headquarters somewhere directing us!
  12. lead

lead Active Member

I grew up United Methodist, and this liberal trend in the bishops of the church has been going on for years. I left and joined the Free Methodist church for awhile, same structure but very conservative. The church is not very strong around this area though. Most congregations are all seniors now.
    I've been attending a Southern Baptist church. Lots of like minded people of all ages and a refreshing enthusiasm for their faith.
    I wish the old denominations still held to their historic beliefs, but then alot of American society is just as bad.