ARE YOU A SURVIVALIST?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rhuga, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Thats a very good question and even though I am no expert, I will take a crack at it.

There are countless things that could cause a SHTF scenario. A virus that sweeps through the world and kills billions, a major meteor strike, nuclear holocaust, major volcano eruptions etc. etc. etc......

If you survived, that means that possibly millions of others have also survived. Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere, it would be difficult to survive on your own. There will be people banding together all over the world to survive as groups. Being alone and by yourself would be difficult to defend yourself and yours against these other groups of people. I don't think you can assume, if you stay in your basement long enough, that everyone else will die or kill each other. People who are not survivalists (as being discussed here) will survive, even if it takes killing and taking from those who are weaker.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

A bunker, or safe room, isn't a terrible idea - anymore than perhaps a gun safe is. Of course I took down the concrete block walls in my basement years ago to open it all up....(had a garage there, coal room, another room). Ahh, hindsight!

There are house invasions all the time- well, not daily in every neighborhood but enough that it's a worthwhile thing to protect against. But how?

From what I've seen on the news the targets are often elderly...I can't stop growing old.
    They often come to the front door and appear as utility/census/church folks while someone else goes in a back door. So keep your doors locked helps.

You can open the door 3" and shove a barrel out to greet every knock...and if two well dressed young folks come to the door they're more likely mormons than gang bangers - but if they jump you you've got little chance to react and CCW won't do much good.
  3. CharlieSW

CharlieSW New Member

ARE YOU A SURVIVALIST?

I sure hope so!
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

No.

I'm gonna sit and wait for the gubment to save me :thud:.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

No, but I am a bitter clinger.
  6. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

This week, Holder testified about Fast and Furious, and while he was trying to change the subject (instead of answering question) he essentially said the administration wants to reinstate the assault-weapons ban. Knowing that crowd, bb-guns will be included in the definition.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

The Road Warrior.
  8. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Violence was not posted in the news during the Katrina Catastrophe. Was everything on the up and up with people not attacking each other?
  9. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

Perhaps we need to fear more from the law than the criminals..
    http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2005/09/hurricane2.html

Or vigilante groups / hate groups
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/27/us/27racial.html

To be a minority puts a target on your back - but then these vigilante groups will probably arise in most areas - a kind of "block watch" self-appointed police force that will shoot first and ask questions later, with no training, no accountability - and no restraints on what they may do. Armed bullies really.

That would make moving to your safe house/farm, hunting, scavenging considerably more dangerous
  10. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Thank You Prof Fate for the news. While I new that something had to be going on. Any news of it was blacked out in Nevada at the time. Just goes to show that there is something very real about being a "Doomsday Prepper".

This news article might be good for a individual Thread. Just might wake up some dumb liberal or someone that is on the fence.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  11. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

When I was young I had more 'fear' or perhaps 'desire' for SHTF. As I"m older now and own things, have kids, and live in a safe area such fears are much less and the desire is all gone.

http://www.clrsearch.com/Beaver_Demographics/PA/15009/Crime-Rate

shows I live in a safe area. Has this lulled me into a false sense of security?

A better quesiton might be how we think the populace will react in different areas? In a ghetto/inner city I expect rioting and general chaos. I do not expect that here. In more sedate city areas I expect flight - fear of the nearby rioting will scare folks into running...but where? How will it work out (rioting on the hiways, gridlock, 10,000 people entering my outlying area?) Will I even have news of what's going on so I can prepare?

So then what happens in my area? Demographically we're upper middle class but does that mean 'civil' or 'better armed'? It means more families and kids and fewer cops over a larger area...

Does the time of the situation make a difference? 2 am on a saturday and everyone is home. 11 am on a tuesday in may means everyone is at work, kids at school... CAN you get home? (earthquake?) Do you go home or go get your kids or ???

Murphy says whatever can go wrong will and at the worst possible moment. So things will collapse the day you're running late and due to fly someplace so you leave your gun at home, can't gas up the car, SHTF when you're 200 miles away...
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    4. A member of a family group.
    5. Someone that is going to just stockpile their resources and wait.

I can not predict future events, but I think things will get worse as time passes. And I don't think it will be a lot of time either. I have talked to the members of my family, and the plan is for everyone to meet up here, at my place. We have room to grow food, and to have some grazing animals. I don't know if we will keep what we have, or loose it to bandits. All we can do is prepare for what we think might happen, or could happen, and pray for the best results. One thing is for sure though, if I prepare correctly, I have a chance!
  13. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Well prepaired.
    Will wait and evaluate the situation and options but not opposed to forming/joining neighbor hood group. One cannot expect to watch all four corners of their property by themselves.

Pray very often it never happens.

I think the reason the Myan calandar ends in 2012 is the the Spanish Conquistadors arrived and killed all of the Myans and they never had time to go past 2012.

In the Bible, Jesus said that not even He knew the exact date for the end of time, only the Father. So I don't place too much stock in the predictions of a bunch of intelligent, but war like natives. For those who say that if Jesus was God, how did He not know, we have to remember that Jesus was both God and man, and because of the brief duality while here on earth, He did not have full access to the mind of the Father. I am sure that once He ascended into Heaven, He had full knowledge.

Nevehome
  14. ares338

ares338 New Member

I'm not a survivalist. I am a survivor!
  15. Lee D

Lee D New Member

im a country boy. enough said
  16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:
  17. nomad2010

nomad2010 New Member

Survivalist - No

Survivor - YES!
  18. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have my Spam so I am ready.
  19. okiefired

okiefired New Member

I wanna be but dammit.....i keep shooting up all my ammo. I'm not goin anywhere. I plan on dieing right here on my hilltop overlooking our ranch and most the people I love.....either from old age....or while taking a whole bunch of zombies with me. ;)

okie
  20. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Okie, if you want I'll bring some Spam and ammo over and we can have a barbque and have a shoot out with the zombie's.