ARE YOU A SURVIVALIST?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rhuga, Feb 3, 2012.

1. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Hey, anyone with plenty of Spam and ammo will be welcome.

okie
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Uhhh, Jim... Would the Spam be for target practice so you would be ready?
    :lmao2:
    (sorry jim, had to say that you know?);) :eek::D
  3. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    Eh, I have guns and ammo, it's all I need. Well, I have a small stockpile of food and water.
    I'll defend my home and when it's time to leave I will leave.
  4. velocity101

velocity101 New Member

I'm a prepper and luckily have a wife who shares the same beliefs that we have to be prepared for any sudden/catastrophic event that may disrupt how we normally live our lives today.

There are few certainties in life, but it my belief that the following are:

1. You can't rely on the government to be there on time to help you (I think the people you lived through Katrina can attest to that).

2. A catastrophic event can and will happen again in the future (whether it's in our lifetime or not is uncertain) i.e. pandemic, coronal mass ejection, economic downturns, fuel shortages, etc.
  5. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

No I am not a survivalist. Everyone keeps talking about the SHTF scenarios. Problem is no one knows what its gonna be. Nuclear war, massive virus, marshal law, zombies. There is no way to prepare for every one. My plan is to have enough ammo to protect my ass from the zombies. Thats it. Every other scenario I have no control over. eventually you will run out of food. Alot of good your prepping does if marshal law hits while your at work and you get rounded up with the rest of the cattle. And theres no way to have every med for whatever bio virus they drop. I have a nice little ammo factory going. Zombies. Thats all I'm prepping for. :cool:
  6. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

wouldn't the same apply to your guns and ammo?

trying to prep for a single event is silly but knowing what you need for day to day life and having extra on hand seems wise to me.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  7. Appliancedude

I don't consider that prepping or being a survivalist. Having what you need and a little extra is called being responsible. I assumed (yea I know) that we were talking about those that are setting aside 15 years of dried food and building underground bunkers. (I've watched preppers:banghead:) What happens if your 500 miles away on a vacation when TSHTF. I just don't see the point. I have an adequate supply of food on hand. I do not PREP. Cause I don't know what I should PREP for. Well you know except for the zombies. Those I'm prepping for:D
  8. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

yeah I kinda scratch my head after watching the Doomsday shows, (I keep telling myself it’s just entertainment) but most of the preppers I know are really just getting back to what previous generations of country folk did, just a little better armed.;)
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  9. Appliancedude

In general right now there's a discussion on EMP's and digital locks on your safe. If an EMP hits NO laundry, NO cold food, NO oven cooking (unless you have a old pilot range) NO ice. Hmph. I could rule the world by bringing back the old ringer washers and ammonia refers.
  10. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

I am prepped for a bug-out-for-good situation. I will not be staying at home (in the suburbs) for very long. I am learning a lot about surviving in the American Southwest. My main concern is finding water sources. If I have water, I have no worries.
  11. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I don't consider myself a survivalist. I have kidney failure and require dialysis to live. In a SHTF situation, I may not be able to get my dialysis, and if that's the case, all the prepping in the world won't save me. That being said, I do have some ideas and plans of what I COULD do, because I'll hopefully be going back to home dialysis soon. I can "hoard" spare dialysis supplies, and I could run my machine with a generator.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Worst case seniro is you leaving behind those tools need for a family member to survive with. While I'm in a little better shape than you are in, I still stock food, and any other essentials I think might be needed. Mostly these will be for my family. I don't think some of us older folks would last too long in a survival situration! I stopped by Wal Mart yesterday for a few items, and grabbed a bag of disposable razors, and a 8 pack to toothbrushes. I just keep adding, a little at a time!
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

wrong thread sorry
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  14. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just finished a book--The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway. Fiction, but the opening chapters are about Sarajevo during the war there, and people surviving in a SHTF situation. Don't know how it stacks up against the real world, but it was interesting.