Are you and old maglite guy or a new surefire nut?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Charles Butler, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Charles Butler

Charles Butler New Member

So I got this friend who just thinks his old style 3 D cell maglite is the S!?* and my new surefire E2DL is a pos flashlight that I paid too much for, personally I think a flashlight that puts out 200 lumens and I can carry in my back pocket is way better than some old bulky maglite but that's just my opinion, whatd you think?
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i like both. i have a 3 Dcell maglite and several small maglites along with a surefire G2. i want several of the new surefires models.

i think that they both have their uses. the surefire puts out a lot of light from a small package, but its downfall is that the batteries dont last long. and also that when they are run out, the light gives no warning that the next time you push the button it will not work. i know the led versions will just get weaker and weaker, but the incandescent type just fails to come on. but it's easy to carry and works well.

the 3 d maglite isnt as easy to carry of course, but it has some major advantages. it can be used as a club. it uses batteries that are more readily available and less expensive. just like an led surefire, it will just get weaker and weaker with batter power loss.

if i had to pick one, it would be the surefire, just because i can carry the surefire more easily, but i wouldnt want to give up my maglites
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Different tools for different uses. I like them both.
  4. flintlock

flintlock Active Member

I've got one of each. A 4 cell Maglite is just too heavy to carry when walking the dog!
  5. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I too have both. A Surefire E2DL, a 2 cell Maglite in my truck and mini-Mags in my first aid kits. I purchased the Surefire not only for its great illumination but for self protection as well. 200 lumens will "blind" an assailant and both ends of the flashlight have some mean striking surfaces :eek: I also have a Petzl LED headlamp that serves many useful purposes.
  6. Charles Butler

Yea that surefire E2DL is pretty sweet man, I do like maglites though they're classic and readily available at most any retail store. Oh and the cr123's that most surefires take, those batteries have no shelf life experation, the never die until use, all other batteries will lose power
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

I'm "DeLighted."
  8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I prefer to carry an old style kerosene lantern.
  9. 199er

199er New Member

I perfer a LED red & white head lamp powered by 3 triple 'A' batteries for hunting and any project I'm doing in poor light. It's 'old school' but it's what I'm most comfortable using plus I like having both hands free.

If I have difficulty blood trailing with my LED white light headlamp I use a Coleman double mantel multi-fuel lantern with half the glass globe covered with tinfoil to keep the latern's glare out of my eyes..........it is 'old school' too but it absolutely works.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

11. Charles Butler

D***nit my wife got ahold of the surefire now she wants one too!!!
  12. johnlives4christ

lol i want one of the little surefires... the type that takes only 1 battery and has a belt clip... good and handy
  13. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

Start with one and go with blinding white light or the subdued light depending on if you want halo vs led... dont forget the heat with halo...

you should be able to get a "good" sure fire for 40 bucks.. and a troy (pretty sure thats the brand I got) pic rail mount for another 40 bucks makes it adjustable to any standard diameter barrel on the light.

Alternatively you can also spend a TON of money on Ebay or wherever on some other light system...

what are you going to mount it to? do you already have the rails? can you put a couple extra batteries in the front grip or ?

etc etc... those all drive cost and purchase decisions...
  14. Charles Butler

The E2D LED isn't very big its light wieght and has a belt clip
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I just got one in the mail

a gift from a fella i aint met yet but plan too

a torch 1 AA sized cell only but WOW! is it bright with some small (tiny actually) light unit at the end of the reflecting parabellum

i'm amazed i'll take some pics and post , i dont know what it is or who by the gent is a genius with LED's and other lighting i know .. probably some space age thing knowing him ..

for a flash light the size of it

i want to mount it for a roo gun (eye shooting at night )

no foolin
  16. johnlives4christ

i think the e2d would suit me just fine.

jack... get him to send me one and i'll meet him too LOL