Are you washed in the blood of the lamb

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by 76Highboy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was baptised when I was 17. The preacher was giving his sermon and midway through the sermon my legs literally stood me straight up and I stepped to my right one step and I was literally standing in the center isle speechless. The preacher who I had known well just closed his Bible and asked me to come forward. I was baptised that morning. It' a great country where we can openly talk about our beliefs. Also, I am not a religious man, I just believe in Christ. If you don't believe in Christ that is just fine by me as well.

How about you?
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

raised a mix of church of england ( mothers side) and Anabaptist ( better known as mennonites, similar to the armish in the US ) from my grandfather , my father sadly not following any faith other than drinking which he did religiously, daily ..

folks who know me often here me "Praying" but its not like most folks Prayer's rather a ongoing chat with a good friend , yes i do say morning and evening Prayers , as dictated in the way The Good book says

i say Grace ( giving thanks for what The Lord gives me ) and attend Church Sunday

i tithe and follow what i think is what Christ commanded , i may be wrong in some ways but believe He understands me as only He can

i'm chipped often for being informal , but in my thinking if i put on airs and graces that are not me He'll know it aint me but a act and i am sure that that kind of BS is NOT what our Lord wants

besides my chats give me a lot of comfort and so far have not led me astray ( that i know of ..

yes the chat is one sided , i've never actually heard the Lord speak words to me , but when i ask some things i get a feeling that i'm on the right track or more often the case feel pushed to look at other options

My simple reasoning is with such a gift as eternal salvation who would not have and treat The Lord as your good mate, best friend etc

and from personal experience , what i and many have achieved here in our Nation re guns , islam etc , none of that would be possible if The Good Lord was not with us every step of the way

and for that too I am eternally grateful...
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks Jack
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

When I got saved, I sought a church to attend, and found a little Baptist that grounded me well. Those altar calls with endless repetitions of "Just as I am" finally got to me, and I came forward as a candidate for Baptism.

On the scheduled evening, several candidates took their turn walking down the steps into the baptistery where the pastor whispered to each one as they entered, then spoke loudly enough for the congregation to hear as he baptized them. Since this had not been mentioned earlier, it seemed to me that he was giving personal spiritual words to each one of us at the moment of baptism.

There had been a problem with the baptistery. They had filled it the day before and put stock-heaters in it to warm it. On the evening of the service, they discovered that the drain had leaked, drained all the water out, and the stock heaters had overheated and burned out due to lack of water. So, they took a raw potato and jammed it into the drain, then re-filled it with tap water, meaning this was a COLD baptism.

As my turn approached, I anxiously listened intently to see what spiritual guidance the pastor would whisper into my ear as I stepped into the cold water -
    He leaned close, and whispered "Don't kick the potato!"
    When He took me over back wards and that tap water hit my back, I gave a sharp inhale - and came up gagging and spluttering water.

Nothing like the solemn ceremony I had anticipated -
    But I was obedient to Christs direction, regardless.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I was baptized when I was 12 years old, in a stock pond.
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

Throughout my childhood we attended a non-denominational church that didn't practice water baptism. As I grew in Christ into adulthood, I realized that while "gettin' dunked" didn't mean one was saved, it was a public proclamation of one's faith. I decided to wait until my son was old enough to make his own decision to receive the gift of salvation, and we were baptised together when he was 8 and I was 36.

And interestingly enough, Terry, the heater wasn't working in our baptistry, either!
  7. 01brian

01brian New Member

I too stood up at 12 and gave my life to the Lord..I guess in my 20's I kind of took it back and then at 30, I feel I had a renual or washing...then my life completely changed for the better, 180 degree turn around. It took a long time to understand "a relationship" and I look forward to working on it each day.
  8. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I am the blood of the lamb.
  9. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I'm sorry, I have a problem, I am too direct and some times a little abrasive. I just can't help it.

Yes, and it hurt.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This thread makes me think of an immaginary conversation between two of the blind men Jesus healed...
    "I see you can see."

"I see you can see too."

"How did He do it?"

Well, he spit in the dirt, made some mud and put it on my eyes. I washed it off and now I can see. How about you?"

"Me? He just touched my eyes and now I can see."

"What, no mud? It'll never last."

God works in each of our lives differently.

I'll be back to this thread with my answer. Thanks for asking this question.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  11. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Brother, that wasn't dirt. That was red clay. That's what the creator breathed life into.
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sorry but this is a long post. I don't have Paul's brevity.

I grew up in a Christian home. Since Dad was a pastor, church was mandatory. But just like being in a garage doesn’t make me a car, so being in the church didn’t make me a Christian. We had family worship around the breakfast table every day. We would read a passage from the Bible, perhaps discuss it, pray, and sing. Then Mom was off to teach and we kids were off to school.
    I became a Christian as a result of several different influences in my life. First was the message of salvation I was hearing from Dad’s sermons and from the family worship. It wasn’t heavy handed, it was just there, like background music.

A second major influence came into my life when we went to Scotland so Dad could finish up his graduate degree studies. While we were over there we went to see the monuments to Christians who had been killed because of their relationship with Christ during the “Killing Times” in the 1600’s. These Covenanters had found something so important in their relationship with Christ that they were willing to give up wealth, home, family, health, and even life for Him. They found something so worth while living for it was worth dying for.

We got back to the US. The school I was attending was in mourning because a boy had been lowering the flag in front of the school during a thunderstorm and had been killed by lightning. That showed me how quickly I could die and there would be no second chances at life.

Dad took me to some Christian Business Men’s Committee meetings, where people who had made it to the top were telling how their success hadn’t filled a void in their lives. They had all they could ever want, but there was still something missing. Until someone introduced them to Christ. He filled that empty space.

One night when I was 13 and couldn’t sleep I was thinking about all this—those Covenanters who found something so important to live for they were willing to die for it; those businessmen who could only find real satisfaction in life when they received Christ into their lives; and that boy who had been struck by lightning: what would happen to me if I got hit by a car the next day? I wanted something worthwhile to live my life for and that would give real satisfaction.

I thought about what I had heard dad and the businessmen talking about when they described how they had become Christians. John 1:12 says But as many received Him to them He gave the power to become the sons of God. I thought “Why not go ahead and do it now?” So I prayed something like, “God, I’m sorry for my sins. Would you please forgive me? Will you please come into my life and take charge of my life? Thank you, In Jesus’ name, Amen.” And He did come into my life.

I had always been afraid of the woods—that I might get lost and get eaten by a bear or something. I began to realise that God was in control of my life and was protecting me, and a few years later I found myself chasing a bear!! (but only up to a certain point. I still have a healthy respect for their claws and jaws.)

I kept quiet about that prayer until one evening I was at another of the CBMC meetings with dad. The speaker asked those in the audience who were Christians to raise their hands so he could pray for them. Quietly, hesitantly, I raised my hand. In the car on the way home Dad said “I noticed when you raised your hand. Can you tell me about it?” I thought “you were supposed to have your eyes closed during prayer”, but I went ahead and told him what I had prayed.

Later I made a public profession of faith when I became a member of the church. I shared my testimony with the congregation. It was and is important that I do that, because God says in Romans 10:9-10 “…if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”

Am I washed in the blood? Yes. Christ’s blood has washed me. His blood paid the penalty for my sins and I am thankful every day for that. I know when my body dies I will actually be stepping into eternal life.

Thanks
  13. Ed~

Ed~ New Member

That's a great story, Terry, of your Baptism by Ice Water!

Indeed, seems like you experienced both the intensity necessary for that spiritual hit (a cold dunk!) along with the most prosaic (don't kick the potato) that is LIFE in the fullest!

Wonderfully enlightening story!
  14. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

When I was Baptized, the minister, LTC Walter Addey waited until I had exhaled completely and then dunked me. It scared the "you know what" out of me. I thought he was going to drown me.
  15. Shedhorn

Shedhorn New Member

I thank my Lord that I am indeed washed by His blood and
    I appreciate the testimony you guys have posted.