Argentine 1891 Mauser

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Munch, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Munch

Munch Member

Hello and congrats to all on an incredible forum for those of us that enjoy firearms of all types. I have recently become very interested in collecting older, but still useable rifles. My most recent purchase was an argentine mauser. It is in great shape metal wise, but the stock has been cut and cleaning rod is gone. I would like any input on the quality of these actions as I have heard mixed reviews on the safety of firing these. I love the rifle, and would like to use it to bag my first deer. I do not however want to give up half of my face.
    Thanks for any tips!

Greg
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Greg ! I used to live up in the South Hill area; too cold and liberal up there for me though.
    I have fired several Argentines and they are solid guns. As with any older gun, give it a detailed inspection and cleaning before firing. It would be a good idea to check the headspace; if you're unsure how to do so, you can have a smith check it for you.

If you have any doubt or hesitation about firing it after all of that, then strap it to a bench/stand/tree and rope pull the trigger from about 20' and inspect the fired brass. Do this a few times and you will have confidence in the rifles performance.

They still have some decent gunshops still open up there?

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those rifles are OK and most of the ones I have seen have been in very good shape. The 1891 action is perfectly fine with cartridges in the intended pressure range (40-45k psi). It should be great for deer.

Jim
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

theres a lot in service out this way ( Australia ) cheap reliable , well known so modding is easy too , lots of .308 and other calibres in them now , 22/250 is popular with them too
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

can u put up a picture please
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no worries

[​IMG]

and how they are supposed to look ....

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Argentine '91s are smooth functioning rifles, and I have owned a number over the years. I currently have one rebarreled in 7x57 and its a decent shooter and a nice handy smooth cycling rifle. I would like to caution owners of 91's that they are not as strong as the later 98 design actions; more on par with the 93, 94 and 95 small ring actions. Watch the pressures of your loads, and I would strongly suggest that NO 91, 93, 94 or 95's be rebarreled in high pressure calibers like the .308 Win. Cartridges that are factory loaded to these pressures are a potential safety hazard to the shooter. Stick with calibers in the lower pressure ranges of the 6.5x55, 7x57, .250 & .300 savage, .30/30 Win and 7.62x39 range. The same should be said of the Krag; while I have seen them rebarreled or rechambered for .308 Win, I wouldnt advise it. The official SAMI pressure levels of the MILITARY 7.62x51 Nato loading that is "considered interchageable" with the .308 Win do NOT create the same pressures as factory .308 Win ammo. Just a word to the wise to exercise caution when dealing with the mettalurgy of the small ring mauser actions.
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

+1 on checking the headspace before firing!
    I've owned a number of '91 Argentines over the years and most had mismatched bolts. The story was that the Argies stored the bolts separately from the rifles (something about not wanting usable rifles available to the opposition during various "revolutions") and they weren't too careful when reassembling when the rifles were surplussed out. The strange part was the only one I had that had a bad headspace problem was a mint rifle....with a matching bolt.:confused::confused:
  9. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

If you want a hunting rifle i say you did great. I check the headspace on all my surplus guns before firing them to be safe. Most of these old war horses are still accurate and some can be as accurate or even more accurate than the new modern rifles too at less cost too. I built a sporter from a german 98k 8mm mauser with a shotout barrel for $20 and a total cost of under $150 with a used 8mm barrel in excellent condition for $37 from www.e-gunparts.com plus scope/mounts. I put ten costs of tung oil on the orginal stock after cleaning and refinishing it and she is really purdy too.

My very first 1891 Argentine 7,65x53 mauser is a carbine. I believe its an engineers carbine so i thought. I later found out back in the 60's Ye Old Gun shop in La, Cal. Took the long barreled argentine mausers and made carbines from them so they could sell them. They bent the bolt and swept it back a little. They did an awesome job but the swept back orginal bolt is the key its the Ye Old Gun shop rework. These do look orginal except for the bolt. Now since my '91 arg has no collector value and the headspace is .010" off i been thinking of milling the receiver .010" or rebarreling it myself to maybe in 6,5mm swede or in 7mm mauser and scope it for my grandsons first hunting rifle. This way he'll have a treasure that grandpa built and he'll remember me when he shoots it. I have another mauser project too its a spanish 1916 in 308 i been thinking of add a chamber adapter to make it in 7,62x39 for the kid too for deer and varmit hunting(coyotes). I want the grandson to have all his guns that he'll ever need before i pass on. Bill

BTW; I believe the best German mausers were manufactured by Loewe or DWM for the south american countries. I think these were the best quality mausers to come out of germany. If you see an excellent one look closely at it and you will see there works of art and look so good too.

www.samcoglobal.com is selling the 1916 spanish mausers that were once in 7mm mauser to 308. Some said there not safe if we shoot the 308win round from them. I believe the 308win round is around 60,000psi of pressure. Samco sent one of these rifles to a testing lab. They had to load it up to 90,000psi of pressure to actually blow it up. Seeing these results makes me think there safe but me personally i wouldn't push it. Iwould shoot the 150gr to 168gr rounds out of it and stay away from the heavier 180gr to 200gr rounds that have a higher peak chamber pressure when there fired. The difference between the lighter bullets and the heavier bullets is the heavy bullets take more pressure to get them moving so we have a higher peak pressure in the chamber. The lighter bullets move much quicker and the peak pressure is lower there much safer to shoot. I say besafe and enjoy shooting them. Bill
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  10. Munch

Munch Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will do a little research on how to check headspace, and pick up a set of the gauges. Any ideas where I might be able to find a set for the 7.63x53? Are they chamber specific, or do the interchange between similarly chambered action?
    I fell in love with Mauser action the first time I cycled the bolt. I now have my eye on a 1895 chilean mauser that looks to me like it was never issued. Flawless metal and wood. I wouldn't change anything on that one.I will however be sporterizing the 1891. With the stock being cut and my intentions for it, I feel that a more modern stock will be better suited.
  11. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

The chilean '95's come with long barrels and the shorter carbine barrels and there very accurate in 7mm mauser. The 7mm mauser round is one of the most flattest shooting rounds there is. Using a 125yd zero the bullets path with the 7mm from the muzzle to 125yds its path will vary between 1/2'' to 5/8'' the whole distance. Plus the recoil on this mid bore mauser is very comfortable to shoot. We can shoot the 6,5mm swede and the 7mm mauser all day and enjoy it with no pain from the recoil. Yet these are very close to the 30cal rifles in power. In europe they still hunt moose and reindeer with the 6,5mm swede and the 7mm mausers. Bill
  12. Munch

Munch Member

Well I took the Mauser out for a test, and she performed like a champ. This thing impressed the he!! out of me with how straight it shot with prvi ammo. In fact, i liked the ammo so much, for both the price and the performance, that I ordered more for the mauser and got some for the 30-30. It was a great feeling to fire something so old, and the people around the range enjoyed seeing it action and trying out a piece of history.
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Where'd ya shoot at? Is Bunyans still around? When I left in '06, the libs were trying to close the place down.
  14. Munch

Munch Member

They succeded in getting it shut down. I never had the chance to visit Bunyans, as I moved here in '06. But I have heard about it. I went to Greenwater, and shot in the dug out gravel pits. Small area to shoot in, but not that many alternatives around. The only spot that I've heard of around here is Tacoma Sportsman Club, and they keep some tight restrictions on times that "non-members" can use the range.
  15. Huffmanite

Huffmanite Member

jack404, here is a newer picture of my 1891, note the alteration I've made to the magazine and triggerguard.

Attached Files: