Argentine 1911 .45

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Frankb, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Frankb

Frankb New Member

Today I purchased an Argentine 1911 .45. It was made at Ballester Molina.
    The blue looks about 90%. It does not have a back grip safety like my Colt 1911. The trigger also pivots instead of pulling straight back like a Colt 1911.
    I can try to get you a picture later. Can you tell me anything about my gun? How do they compare in quality to the Colt? How do they usually shoot and function. What price range would it be in? Are these keepers or should I sell it?
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Working from 40+ year old memories there are 4 major variants of Argentine 1911 type pistols. {This subject is not my "strong suit".}

In the late 1920's (1927) Argentina purchased US made contract pistols from Colt, followed by Colt Machinery for production in Argentina. Then they copied or modified the Colt machinery and made a close variation. Finally they greatly simplified the 1911 into the model that you have. Its design is more like a Star than a Colt.

I have never owned one; can not remember shooting one. It likely has A DIRECT STRIKE FIRING PIN like a Star circa 1930 -50. It is not as safe to carry with a round in the chamber as a 1911, as it has no grip safety feature. Carrying it with a round in the chamber any way other than "cocked and locked" by the manual safety is just plain stupid.

Values in today's crazy market is hard to determine. Register with several major auctions and see what they are selling for.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The B/M and Star safeties actually block the hammer from falling, unlike a Colt.
    They are as safe as any 1911 type to carry hammer down, and safer cocked. The Ballesters were fine guns and are keepers.
  4. Frankb

Frankb New Member

That is good news. I paid $400 for mine from an individual. He told me that Colt made the gun but I found out that it was made in the Ballestera Molina plant. On further inspection it appears that the steel has been re-blued. The grips are perfect and it takes my Colt 1911 clips ok. The one thing I did not like was the rear sight hardly has a slot in it.
  5. arellbee51

arellbee51 New Member

I owned one for awhile and really liked it. In fact I carried it more than my Colt 1911A1. It always went bang when the trigger was pulled and was as accurate as I needed it to be. $400 sounds about right for a B/M in good condition. RLB
  6. Frankb

Frankb New Member

That is good to know. Even though the seller was not honest about the manufacturer at least I didn't get taken.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had one many years ago, If I remember right, the only thing that is interchangable with a Colt or any other 1911 is the magazine.
  8. berto64

berto64 Active Member

3-400 is about right for price and they are well made. Mine is a good shooter and dependable but I prefer my Randall Raider for carry.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

pictures man... i want to see pictures
  10. Frankb

Frankb New Member

I recently traded the BM .45 for a 9 mm P1/P38 in excellent condition, so I can't post pictures of the BM. I couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't a Colt like the seller told me it was. I have a real 1911-A1 .45 that fills that slot rather well. I went to a gun show today and had a 1911 armorer do a trigger job on my .45. It pulls smoothly at 3 1/4 lbs now. It was 6 3/8 lbs before the trigger job.
  11. johnlives4christ

what did the trigger job cost?
  12. Frankb

Frankb New Member

It cost me $85 for the trigger job from an armorer who does nothing but 1911s, and $20 for a 1911 A1 hammer. My A1 had a 1911 hammer on it thanks to Uncle Sam which is heavier than an A1 hammer which would have made it hard to get a light trigger pull. Mine cost a total of $105. I shot it today and it is really smooth.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  13. johnlives4christ

i didnt know there was a differance between the hammer from a 1911 and a 1911 A1. i dont think though that the weight of a hammer would make any differance on a trigger pull. mostly the weight of a trigger pull is determined by 3 things. the angle of the sear/hammer engagement, how smooth said engagement is, and the poundage of the mainspring.

on my smith 4006 i did a trigger job of sorts when i installed the spur hammer and i had the gunsmith put a gauge on it and it's just a tad under 4 pounds. just what i like. i dont like much lighter on a combat pistol. for rifle i like 2 to 3 pounds
  14. Frankb

Frankb New Member

The hammer spur on the 1911 is wider that the A1. The army used left over 1911 parts to service many of the 1911 A1s.