argentine ip colt

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by qmcdonald, Dec 2, 2012.

1. qmcdonald

qmcdonald New Member

i have a argentine ip colt. does any one have any information on there value or a little history on them?
  2. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

The Argentine Colt was my first handgun, I purchased it when I turned 21 back in 1967. I used that gun on up into the late 80's and parted it out. It was used up after who knows how many thousands of rounds.

The story I heard was that they were made in Argentina on Colt machinery and under Colts supervision in 1927? They were some of the finest 1911's.

There seems to be a lot of collector interest in them lately. No idea as to the value. Check out WIKI there should be something on it there.

Great pistol! Hang on to it!
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

"ip"??

The major shipment of Colt M1911A1 style Government Model pistols to the Argentine government was 10,000 pistols, under a 1927 contract. Those guns were the standard Govenment Model differing only in markings from the U.S. commercial product. Other, smaller, shipments were made at different times, to the Argentine Navy and Argentine police agencies, as well as to Argentine distributors for civilian and perhaps other police sales.

The 1927 contract included a licensing agreement under which Argentina could manufacture pistols. Manufacture in Argentina began in 1945 and ended in 1966, with about 80,000 pistols made.

Jim
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone would explain that. I know of Colts. I know of Sistemas (which ain't really Colts). I know of Ballester Molinas (which ain't nowheres near Colts). But I never heard of "ip".
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The only thing I could think of was Internet Protocol, but I didn't know whether it was v4 or v6. :rolleyes:

Jim
  6. Popeye

Popeye New Member

7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

OK, the penny dropped. As you gather from that thread, the "I.P." could mean anything one's imagination can come up with. Same with the lack of markings. Pilot production model? "Black" pistol issued to Argentine super spy Jaime Bondo? Let the imagination run wild.

JIm
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Hayme Bondo? That the auto-body repair guy?