Argentine Mauser 1909

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mosinitis, Oct 18, 2010.

1. mosinitis

mosinitis New Member

I am looking at buying a 1909 Argentine Mauser chambered in 30-06. I would say it is in about 90%. It has some blueing wear and dings in the stock, but overall pretty good shape for an old military rifle. How much are these worth and did they originally come in 30-06?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

picture please . and no it was converted like many others to 30.06 it was made in 7.65x53
  3. mosinitis

mosinitis New Member

I figured it wasn't originally 30-06. I can't get pictures for a few days, it is my neighbors and he is out of town. I will get some up when he returns. Thanks for the help, Luke
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i think ? they made a carbine model these bring a few more bucks than the full size model. they are getting harder find and most ended up sporterized .
  5. mosinitis

mosinitis New Member

From what I remember it was about the length of a remington 700 or maybe a mosin nagant carbine, not as long as a mosin 91/30 if that helps any. It appeared to be a military style stock but I am not really familiar with these guns. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd be sure to shoot it for accuracy before buying. The common thing, "back in the day", was to run a 30/06 reamer into the chamber and "POOF", it was now a 30/06. However, the hole in the barrel is 313, not 308. Accuracy, therefore, is not always the greatest. Matter of fact, it's not often good atall.
  7. mosinitis

mosinitis New Member

Thanks for the heads up Alpo. I think my neighbor would let me shoot it before purchasing it. I don't know if it means anything but it is stamped 30-06 on the barrel or receiver and looks like a machine did it not a hammer and punch.
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Alpo is spot on about the "quickie rechamber, instant 30-06 conversion". Take it to a smith and have a chamber cast done to be sure that's what was done.
    BUT...if you scrounge up a .312 expander ball (like from a .303British or 7.62x39 die set) and install it in a set of .30-06 dies you can reload those rechambered Arg Mausers with .311/.312 bullets as a .312-06 and get back most of the accuracy. If you wanted to do the reloading process correctly, you can use this method to get a few fired cases and then have a set of custom dies made to match the rifle's chamber.
    Of course this depends on the condition of the rifle and if it's safe to shoot at all, but the '09 is a good solid 98-pattern action and most have survived the years pretty well.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  9. mosinitis

mosinitis New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I always wondered how to re chamber a rifle. I will do a little more research on this gun before I decide to buy it.