Arisaka 38, Unknown Further

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by blackdouglas, Aug 24, 2012.

1. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

I recently inherited an Arisaka Type 38. Past that, that is all I know. It never had the mum, which I found odd. It is very old, from what I can tell. The serial is worn, but I think it's 6386. The Arsenal mark is something I've not been able to find either. It looks like a box missing the right wall with either a circle or a half-moon with the horns facing up. Everything appears to match, but it's seen better days. Anybody got any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm pretty sure thats a cadet stamp not a arsenal mark i think its a military college rifle , theres one in a book here by Ian Skinnerton the Lee Enfield expert , i'll dig it up and compare , i may be wrong but worth looking up
  3. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

That would be awesome!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

as for yours as it stands Made at the Koishikawa Arsenal in Tokyo, this type 38 is an early production type 38 and has no series mark that i can see

you may wish to compare the marks against this chart

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

and the cadet rifles where marked with concentric circles not a MUM

sorry

its a non military rifle possibly for police or other use but without the MUM its for non military and without another mark non government use

manufacture date 1906-1935
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  5. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

That's my go to website for ID's. I couldn't find it there though. Maybe I was just being dense. Did you find the Koishikawa mark there?
    LOL! Oh well. It's old and I love it. I love old weapons.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i tried to clean up the pic a bit and think this may be a series mark , it's in the right place for a non government rifle

but what it is , is beyond me

yes its a good site

the fore sight placement and the serial number with no mum lead me to that site and Ian's book both show it to be a early pre war made rifle

each armoury stamped 3-8-model differently early on ( before 1938? maybe 37 i forget) thats what the marks on the top of the reciver are 3 at the top 8 in the middle and "model" at the bottom or rear

and that one matches either Koishikawa Arsenal in Tokyo or

gas and electric but they are rare as rare gets , and i dont think this is one , the numbers would be too high

so betting it aint

a series mark would give us a year too , but i think from the pic we need either better pics or more info

Attached Files:

7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

now another look at that and it not haveing a series mark

is this a star ? or am i getting too much feed back ??

Attached Files:

8. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

Well that is interesting!
    Hmmmm, well, there's something in front of the serial, but it's faint. It could be either some sort of T or a stylized D. Then, there is some sort of horizontal bell like mark at the end before the mark. But, as old as it is, it could just be damage.

Attached Files:

9. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

You, my dear Jack, are a bleeding genius. I have no idea how you saw it or why I didn't notice, but yes, that IS a star. Again, you're a genius.
  10. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

And the star has something in it. If I had to put a guess, I'd say a circle.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In the first picture of #8, it looks like the front of the receiver ring is slanted down, as if the "mum" was ground then the receiver ring smoothed down before the rifle was improperly stored and rusted. Lay a straight edge lengthwise on the ring and see if the front part is "dipped" down where the "mum" was removed.

The 38 Type marking appears normal.

Jim
  12. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

I did. It appears to be level.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

forget everything i said earlier ( sorry for the delay i'm at the range and i had to take my turn , saterday range day for me) i know that stamp its a different armoury its 12 noon here now i'll be back home by 1 pm and dig up the books again

cheers
  14. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

LOL! All good, I fully understand. I appreciate the help! It's 2115 and I have to report in by 0630, so I'm calling it a night. I look forward to your help!!!!!!
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jinsen and Heijo are the same place /arsenal ( if i remember two plants joined together in the early 30's) and it become only a military maker so yes look for the MUM grind marks , some where done nice
  16. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

Thank you! Just FYI, I shot it, and although it was clean and had no problems, accuracy sucked. LOL!