Arisaka forend twists

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 38super, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 38super

38super New Member

Gents,
    I just picked up my 3rd WWII rifle, an Arisaka Type 99 in 7.7x58.
    At the gun shop, I noticed that the forend twists slightly just at the front of the receiver.
    The dealer stated he didn't know why, but that he'd fired the rifle with no problems.
    However, it doesn't seem to be correct, so I'm seeking input.
    I've attempted to attach 2 pics to show what I mean.
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

It's supposed to twist. You have what seems to be a Japanese paratrooper's (takedown) rifle, though judging from the allen head screw visible in the photo it's seen better days. Open the bolt, unscrew the latch (turn counter-clockwise), ease the latch out to the right - it shouldn't be capable of being withdrawn completely, wiggle the barrel to loosen it and pull it forward out of the receiver.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. 38super

38super New Member

Thanks! Does that fact make the rifle more desirable, or less?
  4. nmckenzie

More. Absolutely. Still, I'd see if I could replace that allen screw with one that more or less blends in age and style. Don't know for sure, but my guess would be the screw is metric. Another important point would be matching numbers. I believe the Japanese used the last three numbers of the receiver's s/n on the underside of the bolt handle, and in the case of a Type 1 or Type 2 paratrooper's rifle, on the mating components of the takedown assembly and barrel. Hopefully the flower-like "mum" on the upper portion of the receiver ring hasn't been ground or otherwise defaced - that'll add a few dollars, too. It looks like your paratrooper rifle's been rode hard and put away wet, but if it hasn't been sporterized - forestock shortened etc., and you proceed very, very slowly in restoring it, you'll have something that's worth a few dollars should you decide to sell it somewhere down the line.
  5. 38super

38super New Member

Good news. Thanks.
    When you refer to the Allen screw, do you mean the large bolt with a D ring?
    I cannot find an "Allen" screw as I think of one, ie a hex-head.
  6. 38super

38super New Member

Also, the bolt handle number matches, but I need to check the others.
    The mum is ground.
    Ultimately I bought it for use as a shooter, so these items are more of an interest than a value-added need.
    I appreciate your knowledge and assistance!
  7. 38super

38super New Member

And it's not sporterized.
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I think they meant the Phillips head screw, not Allen head
  9. 38super

38super New Member

Ok. I added that bolt becasue i noticed the twist when I bought it, and the gun shop suggested it was twisting because that bolt was missing. It looks "rough" because I could only find stainless, and a bright bolt would look out-of-place, so I coated it with some brass-black.
    The bolt is apparently not needed, since it made no difference, so I will remove it.
    Has anybody out there recently seen paratrooper-model Arisakas sell? I'm just curious what they went for in condition similar to mine.
  10. nmckenzie

Yup, you're right.
  11. nmckenzie

Saw one that seemed to be in better overall condition than yours, with mum intact, but mismatched barrrel/receiver sections at $850. If you Google JAPANESE TYPE 2 PARATROOPER RIFLE you'll probably come up with a few listings and prices.
  12. 38super

38super New Member

nmckenzie: if mines worth half of that I'd be thrilled! I paid $200 last week.
    I appreciate all the help, folks!