The Firearms Forum banner

Arisaka t99

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mr. mike 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and would like to start with a question about an Arisaka Type 99 that I recently acquired. This is an all matching rifle complete with mum. In addition, it has the AA sight, original cleaning rod and dust cover. Everything appears to be as it should, with the exception of the missing monopod. I was wondering if the value would increase that much if I added one? I realize they are not readily available, and the cost may be fairly high. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Mike

#2 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and would like to start with a question about an Arisaka Type 99 that I recently acquired. This is an all matching rifle complete with mum. In addition, it has the AA sight, original cleaning rod and dust cover. Everything appears to be as it should, with the exception of the missing monopod. I was wondering if the value would increase that much if I added one? I realize they are not readily available, and the cost may be fairly high. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Mike
Welcome to TFF

The monopod isn't too expensive for a repro - http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=141030&filter=141030&catid=0

It will add the correct look to the gun and is worth the $$.

#4 ·
FWIW, the repro monopod I got from Gun Parts Corp. looked so little like the original that I never put it on, feeling it would detract from the value of the rifle.

Apparently, the monopod was another one of those neat ideas that the troops failed to appreciate, and it went by the wayside (often literally). Since most of the later rifles with the monopod type band were actually issued without the monopod, it's absence does not make the gun "incorrect."

Jim

#5 ·
FWIW, the repro monopod I got from Gun Parts Corp. looked so little like the original that I never put it on, feeling it would detract from the value of the rifle.

Apparently, the monopod was another one of those neat ideas that the troops failed to appreciate, and it went by the wayside (often literally). Since most of the later rifles with the monopod type band were actually issued without the monopod, it's absence does not make the gun "incorrect."

Jim
Thanks Jim,
I have a later issue 99 and as you say, there is no monopod band. It would be great if I could locate an original monopod for my newest 99. But I won't be too upset if I have to leave it as is.
Thanks again,
Mike

#6 ·
It seemed to be the fate of Japanese rifle designers (and they were quite good - can anyone think of a simpler bolt?) that their great ideas were not always appreciated by the combat troops. The well thought out (but noisy) dust covers were routinely tossed, and the monopods followed.

Jim

#7 ·
It seemed to be the fate of Japanese rifle designers (and they were quite good - can anyone think of a simpler bolt?) that their great ideas were not always appreciated by the combat troops. The well thought out (but noisy) dust covers were routinely tossed, and the monopods followed.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
I think I'm just going to leave this 99 as it is. I sent a photo to a fairly knowlegable collector, and was told that the stock had been sanded, thus destroying much of the collector value. He suggested leaving it alone. I believe that is sound advice. It's still a nice rifle and I'm sure it's worth more than I paid.
Thanks again,
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.