The Firearms Forum banner

Arisaka Type 99 Rifle...

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  woolleyworm 
#1 · (Edited)
My father recently gave me his prized Japanese Arisaka Rifle that my Grandfather had given to him when he was my age. I've noticed that these rifles don't really fetch much in the $ department and I have no plans on ever getting rid of it so I want to restore the rifle and fire it from time to time.

It's actually pretty neat looking, its bare metal and not blued...I can't tell if its stainless or not (but I've never seen a stainless Arisaka) It does not have the Chrysanthemum stamp.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean up the stock ? Where can I get ammunition for it ? Would it be better if I load my own ammunition ? It has some slight rust from sitting in my dad's gun safe for so many years...what's the best way to clean that up ?

Well, these are enough questions for starters, I guess. I look forward to your replies !

Thanks !

Scott

#2 ·
Collectors prefer and pay more for things that have not been "cleaned up" other than normal cleaning with an oily cloth, and a properly cleaned and oiled insides.

You would be well advised to have a competent gun smith familiar with Japanese WW II rifles examine it before you try to fire it. Some late war produced Japanese rifles are so poorly made that they are not safe to shoot. Also they used two different calibers in WW II.

#3 ·
Collectors prefer and pay more for things that have not been "cleaned up" other than normal cleaning with an oily cloth, and a properly cleaned and oiled insides.

You would be well advised to have a competent gun smith familiar with Japanese WW II rifles examine it before you try to fire it. Some late war produced Japanese rifles are so poorly made that they are not safe to shoot. Also they used two different calibers in WW II.
As far as the calibers, that was going to be one of my other questions...I'm not actually sure what ammo the thing even uses. One thing I am certain of is that it is not a last ditch rifle...It has the metal butt plate and seems to have a clean, chrome-lined barrel.

Its actually a very interesting weapon...

Thanks !

Scott

#4 ·
One sure sign that it's a late model is to look at the safety on the end of the bolt, if it's knurled, it is NOT a late model. I have yet to see one without knurling that was a last ditch and vice versa. I would agree with you that you have a earlier version from your statements. Vast majority of 99's were 7.7, but it would be best to have this confirmed by a gunsmith, if you can't tell. Ammo is available from Norma; it is also not hard to find components for reloading either.

#5 ·
One sure sign that it's a late model is to look at the safety on the end of the bolt, if it's knurled, it is NOT a late model. I have yet to see one without knurling that was a last ditch and vice versa. I would agree with you that you have a earlier version from your statements. Vast majority of 99's were 7.7, but it would be best to have this confirmed by a gunsmith, if you can't tell. Ammo is available from Norma; it is also not hard to find components for reloading either.
Thanks guys

My buddy at work has a buddy that is a gunsmith... I'll think I'll let him take a look-see at the rifle before I do anything to it... As far as the safety, I'm not exactly sure where it is. I have the weapon completely disassembled at the moment. If it's the round piece about 1.5 inches in diameter on the back of the bolt assembly, then it is knurled...kind of in a spiral fasion ?

I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them to my gallery.

Thanks again !

Scott

#6 ·
it's the round piece about 1.5 inches in diameter on the back of the bolt assembly, then it is knurled...kind of in a spiral fasion ?

I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them to my gallery.

Thanks again !

Scott
That would be correct. Have fun at the range with this one, it should be a decent shooter once it's all ready to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.