1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Arisaka Type 99 with intact mum

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by COCANN, Oct 20, 2009.

1. COCANN

COCANN New Member

Hello All,

I have the below rifle I'd like to sell before relocating to Europe. This was a war trophy brought home from the pacific by my father, and I would like to find the right valuation for it.

Here are some quick pics of the rifle. As you can see, it is in excellent shape, and includes the sling, cleaning rod, and bayonet. It was not altered or anything other than stored since it was brought home from the war. The finish is still great, and the iron shows no oxidation or pitting - a rare thing. There is some slight oxidation on the bayonet(s) - as expected.

The serial number is in the shots below -- 59626. The arsenal mark indicates it was made by the Nagoya arsenal, and the leading "kana" symbol in the circle to the left of the serial number indicates it is a Series 3 model

Everything works, and the action is smooth and clean. I wouldn't hesitate to run some light loads through it based on its condition after a check by a 'smith. Wood is in great shape, with no cracks, chunks missing, or other issues. Sling is perfect.

I have 2 bayonets that came with the gun. They are both Type 30, and were made by either the Tokyo or Kokura arsenals depending on the date of manufacture (both used the same interlocking circle mark -- Tokyo until 1936 and Kokura thereafter). One is bright finished, and one is blued.

As mentioned, I also have the original "permission slip" from the US army that allowed my dad to bring these items home -- making this a truly historical and original collection.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

This is one I would love to have in my hands and get an up close look. From the pics, I'd say you have a very fine 99. The vast majority do not come close to the appearance that is shown by the pics. Just based from what I'm seeing and your descripition; I'd say $700 is the bare minimum I would let this one go for. Upon closer inspection, this is one that may fetch $1000 or a little more with the two bayonets and documentation. I would like to see a closer and clearer pic of the series marking and photos of the crown, bolt, chamber and sights please.

The bayonet in the 3rd pic is 99% certain from the Kokura Arsenal.

Welcome to TFF too. Where abouts are you located?
  3. COCANN

COCANN New Member

Thanks for your reply and welcome! I appreciate your help.

I am in Seattle.

I'm attaching a few more photos per your request. The first shows the plate immediately under the cleaning rod holder as seen from below. Note the 626 matches the last 3 digits of the serial number. I'm assuming this helps identify the parts as a matched set.

You can also see the AA sight with wings - all working and with markings intact. I've taken a closeup of the Series kana mark as you asked, as well as a shot of the bolt. I'll post more in a seperate reply as I'm limited in the number of attachments I can post.

Attached Files:

4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

wow yours is in just as good as shape as mine. Do you happen to still have the dust covers for the receiver? I agree with wolleyworm, I've been seeing them now in the 700-850 range but in worse shape and no bayo. I got my bayo from my grandfather as a bring back. He thought it was for the type 38 that he had but it never fit b/c it was for the type 99 that was a bring back from my great uncle.
    Awesome to shoot.
  5. COCANN

COCANN New Member

Here are some additional shots --

The original souvenir authorization given to my dad - dated June 22, 1945. Note it also indicates the rifle and bayonet.

Also shots of the crown and receiver.

Let me know what else you'd like to see, or other info I can provide.

Chris

Attached Files:

6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

After seeing the last few pics, I can tell you without any doubt, do not sell for less than 900; in this condition, you have a very stout well built rifle that is cream of the crop. There are a few variants that are more rare and worth more, but for a standard 99, this one is fine. If you have the dust cover, that would be a bonus, but doesn't devalue it tooo much. The sling appears to be in excellent condition, the original sling definetly adds to the value. I would think that $900-1100 range is where this gun would go for at auction without the dust cover. with original dust cover, add +50.

What time frame are you looking at for moving? I lived up in Wa for years and have family all over. I'll be back up that way in Puyallup and W.Seattle this coming Jan. If you still have it then, I would love to look at it closer and if all goes well, I may be able to make you a fair offer on it.
  7. COCANN

COCANN New Member

For any/all that may be interested in this collection, I'm needing to liquidate it in the next month.

Feel free to contact me directly at cocann@hotmail.com

Thanks for the valuable help!

Chris