Arisaka Type 99

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by blackdouglas, Aug 5, 2012.

1. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

I recently picked up a Arisaka Type 99 at auction. To me, it looks almost perfect. Granted, it's seen it's share of rough times, but I love it. From research I've done, it was made at the Toyo Kogyo arsenal of the 30 Series. I believe a Marine captured it, because he inscribed (what I think) is his serial on it three times. It says, I believe, "OR 1746743 DV3". If anybody else knows anything more, please tell me! I really want facts/opinions on this. Plus, what you think it's worth. I don't intend to ever sell it, I'm putting together a display.

Attached Files:

2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

jap rifles used to be tomato stakes 20+ys ago.. now you see them for 250-350$

nice mum!
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Don't display it, clean it and shoot it!
    Nice rifle and perhaps a battlefield pickup. I wonder how you could begin to trace the Marine by serial number.... What a addition to your display a name and story would be!

Nice rifle and with the unground mum I would put it in the +- $250.00 range.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity why do think it was a Marine capture? Is there something difference about the carved serial number that indicates Marines. A lot of people are not aware that the Army had as many boat landing as the Marines in the Pacific. The places they landed were just not as mean. I've been jokingly told that because the Marines have to fight for every piece of equipment they get, that they have one photographer/PR man for every rifleman.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The number does not appear to be a service number, either USMC or Army. The USMC did not use prefixes and the number is far too low for WWII. The Army did not use an "OR" prefix and the number is also wrong. DV3 sounds like a ship but the designation does not come up as any US Navy vessel.

The rifle probably is a capture (as evidenced by the intact "mum", but the reported numbers don't seem to mean anything that I can find, or indicate the branch of service of the American who captured it.

Jim
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Good point Rjay, my Dad was one of the Army engineers assigned to the Pacific.
    I suppose the assignment worked for him as he hated cold weather and was just happy not to end up in Europe.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

How about an Oregon driver's license number?
  8. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

Thank you guys!
    LOL! I'm considering shooting it, but really, I just want to display it. My family had a lot of guys in different theaters and branches, so I'm slowly but surely trying to do a display with names and pictures, and then weapons underneath.
    Well, DIV 3 I HOPED meant it was Third Division, and the only 3rd I know of in the Pacific would have been the 3rd Div Marines.
    Thanks Jim, but that is very depressing. = (
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I thought of the 3rd Marine Division, but never saw it written as "DV 3"; it was usually called 3 MARDIV.

Jim