1. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Friend of mine got a new gun and is wondering approx. value. Its a Japanese Ariska? spelling. Has Crosanthamin Pics attached. stock has cracks in butt and bluing is 20%. He has had it checked w/ gunsmith and bore is excellent and is shootable. Has orig. bayonet. The guy said about $250 but he wanted 2nd opinion.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day we'll need a bit more info to help , model or type number and pics would certainly help

I just sold a few in canada with MUM intact and they all sold for more than $250 , most almost double that (a few went $480 ) and most to US dealers
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I don't know enough to answer your question, phlmorgan, but the gun is an "Arisaka" and the symbol is a "chrysanthemum" ("mum" for short), an emblem of the Japanese Emperor which the Imperial Army used as a property mark. They were ground off when the Arisakas were disposed of after WWII, so rifles that have them are fairly scarce. That may help you do Internet searches.
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

First, look at the chamber markings, there should be two symbols. If they're identical, then it should be a 7.7 type 99. If they are different, then it should be a 6.8 type 38
  5. Detroit-1

Detroit-1 Member

What you call a crack in the butt could just be the normal splice found on just about all Type 38's and 99's. If it has two gas excape holes it is a Type38, one hole a Type99. As to price without knowing the type or the series or if it is matching it could go from250.00 to over 1000.00. The bayonet if it is a rare model could go from 70.00 to over 300.00. Take the gun to someone who collects Japanese guns not to a gunsmith. If you can put detailed pictures on this sight I will try to help you.