Armi Jager AP74

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by piratesover40, Nov 3, 2007.

1. drumfork11

drumfork11 New Member

Hello There,
    Greetings from gale lashed Scotland
    I have just joined the forum. Re your AP74 they were made in Italy and exported for selling under several franchise names like Mitchell and Kimber.
    The original version came with either a wooden stock, which din't look all that good and the other was an M16A1 with plastic furniture. Also came in .32acp
    They shoot really well and are very accurate. Like all .22s they need cleaning often.
    I have had mine since they first came out and still shoot it regularly
    If you get one hold on to it as the Italian Government have a ban on exporting stuff just now.
    Regards,
    Charles Ward
  2. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Hello,

Just joined when i found this thread.

Does anyone have a useable barrel for sale, or know where i could find one?
    I've been hunting Numrich's for months to no avail.

Can these little beauties be relined? Has anyone done this?

BTW if interested, my chamber broke away where the extractor grabs the rim of the cartridge.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Don't see any reason it can't be relined, but will that fix your problem... What do you mean by 'chamber broke away?' Can you post a picture of the breech end of the barrel?
  4. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

will have to get a pic taken of it and posted. but basically, it's where the chamber wall is machined away to allow the extractor clip to engage the rim of the 22. about 1/8" of it broke away. it still feeds and ejects but i am getting about 1 in 5 side blowouts from the cartridges since then.
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

OK, then yes I believe lining can fix the problem.
  6. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

thanks will get a pic this weekend and keep looking for a local smithy that will tackle it
  7. Boxer

Boxer New Member

Sorry, I just traded one in yesterday but I can tell you where it is Stattons General Store Tomahawk WI 715-453-9200 also traded in a AK47 22 cal. imported by the same company both were in excellent condition
  8. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Ok I'm having difficulties getting an image uploaded. will try again later on. again, thanks for the advice
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  9. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Ok I figured it out. I am open to suggestions on getting this baby to not blow out the side of the 22 cartridge at the rim.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. RydFree

RydFree New Member

A good gunsmith should be able to unscrew the barrel out of the receiver and weld/grind you the missing chamber wall and stop the blowouts . You can also keep searching the gun sites and find a parts AP74 that has a good barrel and change it out yourself .

Here is my AP-74 that I bought used in 1982 for $50 . The extractor mount was broken off but I quickly made a replacement in the shop where I worked at the time and it has shot well ever since . Just this week I decided to cut the carry handle off and convert it to a flat top. I have a picatinny rail that I will mount in its place next week .

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4131615135542.2178203.1438434880&type=3
  11. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

Sweet! LOL i just noticed that you have the same magazine latch repair that mine does

I'm hoping that i can get mine repaired this summer. i had planned on refinishing her this fall. i am planning on going flat black like the M4's are done instead of the glossy finish she has on her now.

I got her back in the 80's without the magazine catch. I traded a timing light for it. it took me about an hour or so of scrounging through old carburator springs to find one the right diameter and tension and then drilling/grinding a square piece of metal to the right size for the catch.

that must have been a common problem for the AP's
  12. RydFree

RydFree New Member

I finished mine up yesterday with the top rail and frt sight rail . I also took the cheesy plastic stock off and put a Bushmaster AR stock on it . It feels more solid now . I wanted to put a set of A2 round handguards on it but the rear retainer ring is smaller than a AR and I would have had to modify the front delta ring a bit as well because the AP74 is thicker . It could be done but I didn't want to start another round of mods :)

Attached Files:

13. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

very nice. mine is in for repair, hope to hear a status if its condition this week