1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Armi Renato Gamba Question.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DavidC, Feb 22, 2011.

1. DavidC

DavidC New Member

Hi..I have an Armi Renato Gamba S P A Over and under shotgun for sale, it says Edinburgh Match on the underside. It is engraved and in pristine condition. Are these desirable, at all? And what might it be worth? Please. I am ignorant about how you would sell a gun like this. Thanks. David
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

David,

I cann't find this shotgun in the standard catalog of firearms....

But I did find that in the 1980's they ran about $2,400 so I am thinking you have some value there. That being said however these highly rated trap guns..... by the guys who shoot them.... are not very well known in the USA. Therefore they don't seem to hold their value as much as one would like. Parts for them are somewhat hard to find, and the extractors are known to have trouble, for some. If it is in excellent condition, it may bring as much as new price to the right fellow. Problem is finding him. The internet however has changed this to a large degree. You might consider taking it to a reputable gunshop that is willing for a small fee to list it on one of the firearms auction sites, or better yet, they may be able to list it on Guns International, for a set price. I suppose it depends on your time frame you have in mind, auctions are by far the fastest way, but may not get the results you wish for. Good luck.

Regards, Kirk
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

According to 31st ed. of Blue Book:
    100% -$1200., 90% - $950., 80% - $850.
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Bullshoot,

First time for this, I never checked the Blue Book, as I WAS sure that the standard catalog of firearms would have a better chance of listing this. First time I ran across the Blue book having a listing the catalog did not. I did however find a mate to this gentelmans shotgun in Cabelas in Omaha some time back. So I have seen one. But they wanted like $1,800 for it. Figures....

Regards, Kirk
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  6. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Kirk, maybe this will help...

31st edition Blue Book, 2010, pages 806-814 for Renato Gamba, specifically page 809 for the following listing:
    Renato Gamba
    Shotguns:O/U
    EDINBURG MATCH - Similar to Victory Model, except has different style of engraving. (Prices as indicated earlier)

Victory Trap/skeet - similar to Grinta Model, except has better walnut and different style of engraving.

Grinta Trap/skeet -12 ga. only, trap/skeet model, SST, ejectors, medium engraving coverage.

There is also an Edinburgh Super Slug model, 12 ga only, trap model, etc with prices at $900 and lower.

A possible influence on Cabela's pricing might be the ones listed on succeeding pages such as CONCORD MODEL GRADE B at $6385 in 100%
    DAYTONA GRADE 4 MODEL at $19750.
    DAYTONA SL at $26,000.
    DAYTONA SLE BEST at 72,000 Euro
    DAYTONA SLHH "THE BEST" at 115,000 Euro
    and those were just samples.

Now, after saying that, I have no idea what the gun might actually be worth. I have two shotguns, both worth less than $400. I'm just passing on what 'the book' says. Yes, I believe I found the correct listing.

BullShoot
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Bullshoot,

Yes, but did you know there are two different companies here? "Armi" Renato Gamba is not the same company as "Renato Gamba" Same family, but not the same company....

Back when I first encountered the only one I have personally seen, I did some reaserch and found this out....."renato Gamba" makes the expencive Daytona series, but the gun and the company are not the same. There was a parting of the ways amoung the family, and Armi Renato Gamba was the result.

I dug out my old blue book and sure enough I see what you are saying about the Edinburgh Super Slug, (That I had not heard of "super slug") and sure enough they have these listed in the Renato Gamba section.......IMHO this is incorrect from what I found in some internet posts from a shooting club in England, as well as some other listings I came across.

As a side note the Standard Catalog of firearms does not list this shot gun the Edinburgh at all in the Renato Gamba section.......

Oh well, It is what it is.....confusing

Regards, Kirk
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

"Armi" Renato Gamba is not the same company as "Renato Gamba" Same family, but not the same company....

As they say, "Live and learn." I'm still living - and today I am definitely still learning!

Thanks, 300 H&H, an education is always appreciated.

BullShoot
  9. Humble Novice

Humble Novice New Member

Hello,

New guy here. Did you folks ever determine the value. I'm looking at one that looks to be in 90% condition with an single shot barrel with it in addition to the over/under. Any ideas?

Levi
  10. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Welcome to TFF.

This is a 15 month old thread that I have not seen before. I will comment relative to a potential safety issue.

I would proceed with extreme caution on the purchase of any Gamba shotgun. I advise you to thoroughly examine the inside of any such shotgun's chamber(s) for hairline crack(s) under at least 3X magnification, before buying or firing. The wall of the monobloc, alone, does not have enough strength to hold the pressure of a target load when an inner chamber wall crack develops and progresses to a certain point.

About 7 years ago I became involved in the catastrophic chamber failure of an apparent R. Gamba family shotgun (from its receiver trademark) marketed by RWS in the early 1990's. This expensive gun was designed for the European Trap game, and had a double barrel and single barrel tube set.

The top barrel chamber, of the double barrel set, had ruptured the full length of the left side of the chamber on the 99 th. shot of a 100 shot doubles Trap shoot, several years before I had the opportunity to examine the gun. Ammunition definitely did not seem to be a likely factor! Fortunately, the shooter was a left hander; thus, avoided injury when the chamber ruptured. It was estimated that subject barrel had been fired about 1000 to 2000 shots without incident.

The most likely cause of said failure was that when the barrel tubes were brazed into the monobloc, there was incomplete brazing, which allowed the inner portion of the chamber wall to progressively crack (at both the front and rear of the chamber) until there was about only 25 to 30 mm of chamber material intact in the middle. When this point was reached, the gun "blew up" in simple layman's language; opening the chamber up like a M-80 firework going off inside of a tin can, and takin the left wall off of the receiver, Also I will comment that the automatic ejector system design on subject gun likely weakened the monobloc and contributed to said chamber rupture with associated damage (destruction) to the receiver.

Somewhere, I have pictures; but am unable to access and post them here and now.

Hope this information is informative. Be safe not sorry.
  11. Humble Novice

Humble Novice New Member

Also,

Is anyone aware of a website where I can get some info on the "armi renato gamba"?
  12. Humble Novice

Humble Novice New Member

Wow! Getting the left side of my face blown off doesn't sound like a fun afternoon at the shooting club! Did they ever fix the problem? And does it matter at all that this is the Edinburgh Match edition? Thank you for you help, Levi