The Firearms Forum banner

Arminius .44 Part

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Goody 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I was looking for some information from people that have a whole lot more knowledge than I do.

So I recently bought an Arminius .44 (just because) without knowing anything about it. Don't ask what I paid for it because I already know now I got horribly burned. My main problem with the gun is that it's missing the cylinder locking bolt completely. It also is missing several other screws primarily in the grip frame and one in the body. So what I have been able to gather around the net is the company is long gone and finding parts is going to be very difficult. I wouldn't have bought it at all if I had known that! The screws don't worry me too much because I'm sure I can find something that will work but when it comes to the cylinder locking bolt what are my options? Is there one made for another gun that would be compatible?

#4 ·
RoguePhotonic, I should have suggested looking for parts on gun auction websites as well. (Just do a Google search for "gun auctions", there are several of them.) I think people break up inexpensive guns like the Arminius for parts more readily than they do a Colt or a Smith & Wesson.

I have an Arminius revolver in 32 Long with target sights, and it's not a bad gun. But just out of curiosity, could you take a magnet and see if the frame of your 44 is made out of steel? All the Arminius revolvers I have seen had frames of zinc alloy. Thanks!

#5 ·
The gun does attract a magnet.

I'm still going to have to dig deeper to find the part. I need to find more info on this exact model. It's hard searching for a gun part when you only know the company and the caliber.

I might also need to find a more detailed specification chart if I am going to find the screws I need. The one missing from the frame seems to be it's own size so that I cannot pull out another and match it up.

#6 · (Edited)
If it helps, the name of the manufacturer of your Arminius revolver was Hermann Weirauch. Before 1945, the Arminius name was used by a German company called Pickert, but they had nothing to do with your gun.

I'm glad to hear the frame is steel. The idea of a zinc-alloy 44 Magnum seemed dubious.

#8 ·
I'm not sure. I'm new to firearms so I have been learning allot in a short time. I bought my first one back in December with a Glock 19 and then I recently bought an S&W M&P .40. Needed to get one of those before you no longer can in this horrible state! This gun is the first revolver I have bought. I did a total break down tonight and took an inventory and condition check of all parts. Glad I did since I had to clean up a few bits of rust here and there. In total I am missing the bolt cylinder stop, trigger/bolt spring, trigger spring screw, bolt screw and 3 screws that hold the whole grip frame on.

This website Bob's Gun Shop looks like they might have the parts I need. I sent them an e-mail asking if they had inventory of what I want. Sadly it looks like I will be putting about another 80 dollars into the gun to get it functional.

#11 ·
Still no reply from Bob's Gun Shop but I've been trying to dig further and from what I can tell this gun is an Arminius WSA in .44. In terms of actually finding this gun model the WSA is the only thing I can find that is offered in .44 and looks the same. I cannot find any parts on Numrich for this gun at all or any other Arminius gun in .44. It looks like a Colt Sing Action Army pistol is pretty much identical and might have interchangeable parts. Unfortunately there is both a first and second generation version. Is that going to matter? I'll have to dig further as I would pay money for parts and then they don't work.

Such a pain!

#12 ·
I don't know much about it, but IMO Colt parts working would be a long shot. Many copies of the Colt SAA have been made, but few of them were made to be interchangeable with Colt. Especially if the gun was made to handle 44 Magnum.

Most of the internal parts in my little Arminius 32 seem to be made out of heavy gauge steel plate.

I'd keep an eye on the gun auction websites for parts or another Arminius cheap enough to cannibalize. Unitl then, I'd just chalk this one up to experience. God knows I've gotten enough of that kind of experience over the years, and while it stings, it's a good education.

#13 ·
IMO your best bet is to scour the online gun auctions and ebay for parts. 10 years ago you would have probably had no problem buying the parts from Numrich or other parts vendors. But things are different now. Due to the internet, people are A. Attempting to fix rather than sell their broken guns. And B. If selling them, selling them themselves online. Rathar than accept pennies on the dollar for them from the parts vendors.
Patience and diligence is key. I once spent two years looking for a certain .22 rifle bolt. Then recently saw a gun forum post of someone looking for the same bolt. He found one in a few days.

#14 ·
i also have an Arminius 357 SAA 7 1/2 " barrel. Hair trigger, under 2 pounds. I collect mostly Colt and S&W, but this piece I paid just $300 for in 2012 and it is as beautiful in form and function as any. I'm senior with bad eyes and I can ring the gong at 75 yards with this beauty. It is the best kept secret in the safe. The finish looks like case coloring and is awesome.
Other Arminius's, not so much. The ones I have held look like they come from a custom shop with great gunsmiths and apprentices. They vary that much.
I'm trying say, it may be worth the effort to rescue this pistola.

This post has been deleted
#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is the same gun made for years by JP Sauer and Son. They were imported under the name Hawes initially, Great Western, then several others. You need to find parts listing for "German large Frame Single Action". I know you said you already tried to contact Bob's, but here is what they list. Not all parts are available, I would call with what you need.
http://www.gun-parts.com/singleactions/

Here is the listing at Numrich

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Hawes-33280/LargeFrame-36482.htm

I still have 8 or 10 of these old single actions laying about, 4 or 6 357's, 3 or 4 44's, a 45 and 2 or 3 22's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.