Arms Fair Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TranterUK, Feb 16, 2009.

1. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Also the first UK meeting of TFF members. That would be me and Charlie the sniper, who met at the Birmingham fair yesterday. It was held at the National Motorcycle Museum.

We had a nice cup of tea together, and I can report he is a very nice guy indeed.

Hope you enjoy some pics...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

A couple more:

Attached Files:

3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

looks like it was an interesting arms fair. beats any of the local ones i've attended .
  4. artabr

artabr New Member

Looks like it was a nice show.
    Thanks for posting the pic. ;) :)

Art
  5. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Wow, they allow you to take pix there at the gun show? They don't here.
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

They do, but I always ask the permission of the stall holder first. Some say no, most say yes. Actually the pics don't do the show justice. There are three large halls full of dealers.
  7. Am I right in assuming that the fair is mostly for collectors of deactivated weapons and military memorabilia, Tranter, or do they sell working firearms for those with proper licenses?
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

There are live firearms Pistol, but very few. Most firearms are antique, obsolete calibre's and de activated. There are also lots of edged weapons including knives, bayonets and swords. Also munitions that are collected including cartridges, grenades, mines and shells. All inert. Helmets and caps, badges and buttons can all be found. Also many boxes of bits, magazines, scopes, replacement stocks and books.

It really is quite hard to get bored while there.:) Notice the original Thompson Drum Magazines in one shot. Where else are going to get them?
  9. Are the mags in working order, or are they too deactivated? Is any sort of license required for the edged weapons? Just curious . . . ;)
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

No, magazines are in full working order. Many mil surp mags are in fact used on working rifles. I used to have a bolt action rifle that took 20rd M14 mags, and I have a bolt action today in 7.62 Russian that can use AK mags if desired. I also have a 9mm M4 that can use Uzi Mags.

Licence required for edged weapons? Not yet. But it's only because some daft group with too much time on their hands haven't got around to it yet. They probably will. After all, why would anyone 'need' a sword? There's grounds enough to ban them there.
  11. islenos

islenos New Member

hmmmmm......MG42:D
  12. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

All those castrated firearms..........just, so sad, so wrong. :eek::D
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

This touches an argument I have had many times over recent years. The majority of guns that get de activated are old obsolete ones, WW2 and earlier. Now they go into the hands of collectors here and across Europe who appreciate them and enjoy owning them. That has to be better and more honourable than scrapping them?

I agree in many ways its a sad end, but there are so many. I was personally involved in de activating many for sale. When a guy came along and held a P38, a Luger or Webley and said 'what a waste' I would reply with 'We have fifty back at the workshop in working order, how many can I put you down for?

What do you think happens to the trash cans full of surplus guns? Manhole covers is what!!!

I will admit to being a little confused by those who collect de activated modern guns, but as they say in France, each to his own. (I dont speak French). And keep in mind antique and guns of obsolete calibre are untouched.
  14. So, in Britain it would be illegal to own a .22 without a license, but a a rifle in, say, .450 Martini-Henry caliber would be legal without a license? How about pistol calibers like the .455 Webley? That's certainly obsolete, but it is still an effective round, and fire forming cases for it and reloading ammo would not be terribly difficult.
  15. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Hmm, that don't look like no gun show I ever been to; they ain't no Rebel Flags, t-shirts, 'er bumperstickers in 'em pictures... :D

Sorry, I get a good laugh at some of the stuff being sold at 'gun shows' here in the US sometimes. :D

That looks like a nice trip back into history Tranter. Thanks for the pictures. :)