Armscor M1600

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ilovenxstage, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

Does anyone know what ammo would be best for the Armscor M1600? It's a blowback operated semiautomatic. My friend is using 36 grain Federal copper plated hollow points in it, and it is constantly jamming. The mechanism is as clean as we can get it and it still jams.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Try many brands and stick with the one that works the best. The Armscor M1600s are cheap AR knockoffs. Much of the feeding issue may be more related to poor quality magazines than ammo.. So try many brands, including CCI minimags, and if the issue persists with all of them its the magazine.. Purchase a new one and try again.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I specifically name CCI Minimags because thats what i find works best in most autoloaders. And i see alot of .22LR autoloaders on my desk.
  4. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

The gun shop owner who sold the rifle to my friend did say that he should use nothing smaller than 40 grain bullets, and he should not use hollow points. I will look at the mini mags. Are they hollow points?
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Mini mags can be had in either 36 gr HP or 40 gr solid.
  6. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

Cool. I will suggest he try the 40 grain Mini Mags.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Also have him grab a box of federal automatch
  8. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I shoot CCI Blazer LRN from the bulk packs all day long in my M1600 and have never had any malfunctions at all. American Eagle seemed to be inconsistent in the loads, as well as accuracy. I don't shoot the Thunderbolt or the cheap Federal from Walmart through it, it will cycle ALMOST... the bolt comes back and it will chamber the next round, but evidently it doesn't quite come back far enough to cock the firing pin, but these are the only two that I've experienced it in, but once I found that it ate the Blazer, that's all I've been stocking up on, luckily I have a couple of sources close to me that regularly have it on sale for $13.99 a brick of 500.

I am really liking this rifle, I have almost 600 rounds through it with no problems at all, it's accurate and light and perfect for tree rat season here.

[​IMG]
  9. mogunner

Also, what do you mean by 'jamming'? Most feed problems can be traced to the magazine, I did polish the feed ramp a bit on mine right after I got it as it seemed a bit sharp at the bottom.
  10. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

yes, this is good advice. I would think that if it is actually jamming it is a feed problem.

if it is failure to eject or something like that, maybe not enough power in the round.

I have shot over a couple thousand CCI Mini-Mags through my 10/22 without a single mishap, definitely try them out. Wal-Mart carries them for around $7/100 rnds, a bit more at local shops if they carry them.

If those don't work, probably a feed problem.
  11. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

It does seem to be a feed problem. The spent case ejects fine, but the next round will fail to chamber all the way. You remove the magazine, and the round will fall out with the bullet itself partially crushed. Looking at the feed ramp, it looks kind of dented. He bought the gun used, and it was kind of in rough shape. It may not have been the wisest purchase.
  12. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I took a closer look at the rifle's guts today and the entire action was coated with dirt and grit! I cleaned all that out and re oiled everything, put it all back together and test fired it....it STILL jammed! Then I got to really looking at the mag. It too is basically filled with grit and grime. the trouble is I don't know how to effectively clean it out since I don't know how to disassemble the mag. The follower is catching on all the grime and the round is failing to move all the way into the action. The previous owner certainly didn't know how to take care of a gun!
  13. mogunner

I'll take a look at mine and see if I can figure out how to tear it down. You can buy mags for these from several online firearm suppliers, and Armscor does have a service center in Nevada if I remember right.
  14. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Some .22 LR auto-loaders are hard to cycle and require ammo that has higer recoil.

Such is usually encountered in pistols, such as the SIG Mosquito, as compared to rifles.

CCI Mini-Mag, 40 grain is usually the ammo of choice for such guns. {In fact, I had a SIG service rep tell me that the Mosquito could not be expected to cycle reliably using any ammo other than Mini-Mag.} The only problem with CCI Mini-Mag, 40 grain ammo is that it is not inexpensive; and often costs almost 3X what promotional 500+ round bulk pack ammo costs.

Remington "value pack" ammo used to be available with 40 grain bullets; but one is likely to encounter only 36 grain hollow points these days at Wal-Mart, Dick's, Dunham's and other mass merchandisers. They seem to recoil hard enough to reliably cycle most problem semi-autos; but Remington promotional RF ammo has been plagued by abnormally high failure to fire rates, in recent years. Still, it is cheap and suitable as plinking, range ammo.

Today CCI and Federal are divisions of ATK. They sometimes make and package each other's products. A CCI or Federal product loaded in the other divisions plant will usually be loaded to that plant's specifications and packaged in the the other division's boxes. Thus, there are differences.

Blazer (which was originally CCI's promo grade ammo) is loaded by both divisions. The CCI loaded Blazer .22 LR is usually "hot" enough to cycle anything that Mini-Mag will cycle at promo ammo prices. The bullet is not copper plated, and barrel leading may occur in some barrels. A bronze bristle bore brush will deal with any such problem if used about every 50 shots.

The Federal Blazer load is milder, quite accurate, and does not tend to have barrel leading issues. It often will not cycle problem auto-loaders.

You can tell the difference as follows: In 50 round box packaging the Federal has a 4 leg plastic stand that is usually milk white color, while the CCI just has a clear plastic grate to hold the cartridges. In bulk packs, the Federal has a lot number that is "dot matrix" printed about 1/4" high with both numbers and letters, while the CCI lot number printing is 1/4" smooth (letterpress) with numbers and a letter like "R", "S", or "T" in the middle of the code for the 2009, 2010, & 2011 production years.

If you can find CCI loaded blazer you can usually save money as compared to buying Mini-Mag to cycle problem guns.

Hope this is informative.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ammo inconsistencies can almost always be traced back to the Walmart/Academy/other bulk store shelves. It was explained just like this to me by a trusted friend after his conversation with Winchesters head marketing/sales rep regarding thier WWB ammunition..

He said Huge distributors like Walmart and Acedemy and others have such big buying power that they can come in and tell a manufacterer what they will pay for their product and what they will sell them for. Its either play by thier rules or turn down a multi million dollar a year contract. So basically ammo thats getting manufactured by bulk buy discounters get special ran on separate machines with cheaper materials and less QC. Thats why certain ammunition youd expect to be reliable isnt.

So after finding this information out I decided to test the theory for myself. Crappy ol remington rimfire ammo was my test subject, and maybe it was just a fluke deal but i bought a box of rem T bolts from Walmart and a box from Downings guns in cleburne.. different lot numbers. The Walmart ammo jammed and misfired. PRolly had a dozen or so failures out of the 50 round box. The small gunshop ammo fired fine with no hiccups. and I even fired it after the walmart stuff so it had to work thru the fouling leftover from that.

I aint saying dont buy from walmart, cheap ammo is better than no ammo. Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. That said, I do still continue to buy my CCI minimags from walmart, in fact i buy 30 dollars worth each time we go get groceries just so i stay stocked. It continues to function perfectly for me.. maybe CCI dodged the cost/quality issue by not bulk packing CCI minimags.