Armscor (Rock Island, Hi Std) reveiw

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by LDBennett, Jul 13, 2007.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

For you Armscor enthusiast, Dillon, in their "Blue Press" reviewed the Armscor 1911 (High Standard roll marked on slide). And interestingly they found it to be well made, tightly put together, and accurate. Funny, that's what I found out about my Rock Island 1911 (also Armscor) that I customized.

It seems the Philippinos know how to make guns after all.

LDBennett
  2. boni

boni New Member

thats "Filipinos" sir. :)

by the way, i own two armscor 45 cal. pistols one single stack and another high capacity. i modified the high capacity and just had my single stack throated. they have not given me any problems yet. :)
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Welcome, Boni, if I haven't said it before...we LOVE hearing from our "TFF Foreign Legion!"

But your signature has me a little confused...coupled with your Picture!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Armscor or Colt, that half inch hole looking at me is one scary sight!;)
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Them S.A.M.-made (Shooters Arms Manufacturing) guns are real good, too! ;)

[​IMG]
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I have a couple of the High Standard 1911's. They both perform very well and are accurate outta the box.
  6. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I have a High Standard & a RIA 1911. From my experience, the RIA is a little better out of the box.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Kansas45:

Do you think the Hi Std was made to a loser spec or is it just the variance of manufacture? I thought they were the same gun but with different roll markings and perhaps subtle physical differences that didn't effect the overall quality.

The fit and finish of my RI is of course no match to my Colt Delta Elite but it is adequate, considering the price. I customized mine and it shoots great. I originally bought the frame for use with my Marvel 22LR Conversion Unit One but with the extra slide and barrel just laying around I decided to make it a project. The frame has virtually all new match parts inside for an exellent trigger but some of those parts did not just drop in like they were suppose to and I suspect the gun was not made exactly to 1911 specs. I got them all in but it was gunsmithing project to do so. The slide was modified with a Bomar sight rib (full length ala 1950's Bullseye guns) and a match barrel bushing fit. I used a Dwyer Group Gripper recoil spring guide which tightens the return to battery significantly. The gun is remarkably accurate and works great as a frame for my Marvel conversion with an excellent trigger (aftermarket parts, completely).

I would recommend RI gun to anyone if it is an inexpensive 1911 they are after.

LDBennett
  8. kansas45

kansas45 Member

Actually, they appear to be the same gun. I guess the differences in how they were put together might be the difference. The RIA seemed to be a little tighter in fit & shot groups. Not a lot, but enough to notice. Now that I've done much work to the RIA, it would be hard to compare the two pistols.