Arrow in the elk

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 1:50:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Arrow in the elk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ken, read my post on TFE hunter's lounge about my boy Joseph (17) shooting a big bull elk with 10" of broadhead in it's neck!!!!!!

ysacres
    (12/9/01 1:01:22 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Arrow in the elk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey oldguide
    Your story reminds me of my buddy two years ago, he shot a deer that had a broadhead just under the skin from the year before. I see in your bio you taught at wazzu, I'm a farmer out on the river breaks, GO COUG'S. Love your village, we go to the lake often, and have some cousans that live in enterprise.

the right of the people to keep and bear arms

kdub01
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/9/01 1:10:29 pm)
    Huh?

Just saw this come up, Jack. Yeah, I saw the posting and replied with my own personal story of finding a broadhead in a big bull elk I got in Colorado back in '86.

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/9/01 9:13:20 pm)
    ysacres, we are 4 miles south of Wallowa, up the Bear Creek Canyon. Yes,I taught at Pullman and I also taught for the U. of Washington for 6 years at their graduate school in Richland. I just returned from Richland last night, after a short shopping trip to Kennewick.I have a brother who lives at the lake. Jack

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/20/01 8:47:51 am)
    32, I`m sure in all your gaming, you have seen the odities of wounded animals that survive only to be harvested later in their life....I have seen some strange ones, even in very small game. My favorite of all time though, is also an arrow story.

Some years back in Louisana (I think it was that State, area anyway) a very large..[well over 100lbs] alligator turtle (loggerhead) was caught on a trotline in a old slough, it died and was brought in to the parks and wildlife in an attempt to verify age and if it could be a record. No one knew how long this prehistoric things lived....

When the turtle was cut open to look at the inner shell growth rings (even these are not really proof of age, just a rough guess) embedded up next to the top of the shell ridge was a arrow shaft about 3 inches long and attached to it still was a flint arrowhead, almost as pristine as the day it was made. That was taken to another place and verified to be from an Indian tribe that hunted in that area many moons ago. One old turtle, huh. Thought you might like that arrow story.......LTS
    Every Day........

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/4/02 11:25:06 pm)
    Thanks for the story, LTS. We have been teasing the boy about shooting an elk so old that the indians had shot it with an arrow!