AR's and chrome lined barrels.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bustedmp, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I am building 2 AR's, one in 300 blackout, and the other 5.56. The 300 is pretty much a done deal as to what I am using for the barrel, but the 5.56 I am unsure if I should go chrome lined barrel or not. I know chrome lined bores last longer and are less accurate, but exactly how much does accuracy suffer? The places I have been looking don't seem to be able to keep the chrome lined barrels in stock except for the cheap ones, and I'm not sure I want to go down that road. Maybe I'm making this out to be more than it is, but these 2 AR's are going to be my first, and I haven't been able to find much of an argument about chrome or not other than chrome lasts longer and non chrome shoots better. I got tired of working on my friend's and my brother in law's all the time and not having one of my own. Those two bought rifles off the shelf and dumped enough money on upgrades into them so far they could have built two for what they spent on one. Of course the labor was cheap since I did the work on them for next to nothing.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Unless you're going after absolute accuracy; there is not going to be any noticeable difference in accuracy. IMO, the design/task of an AR, there is nothing about shooting dime sized groups at 100yrds. If you're planning on firing rapid fire and dumping full mags, go with the chrome lined and you'll be just fine.
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I personally went without chrome, on purpose, in my new AR and I am happy with my decision. Too many stories around about the chrome lining spalling off and ruining the gun's accuracy for me to be comfortable. I was going for maximum accuracy itn the AR I was putting together.

That said though as Woolyworm says, if you're fond of doing a bunch of high speed mag. dumps or you don't clean your guns after each use, definitely go with the chrome. It will protect the bore and make it much easier to clean.

I have several rifles that are over 100 y.o., that have been well cared for, and they are still as mirror bright as the day they came out of the factory. Their bores aren't chrome lined and they still shoot with laser-like accuracy. I see no reason why my AR range-gun can't also perform in the same manner with proper care.
  4. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I'm happy hitting a 2in steel at 100. I could lie to myself and say there will be no mag dumps, but I won't. I just want to do it right, my brother in law has spent plenty of time i the military and he swears by nothing but the best and my buddy has had no issues with his non chromed barrel, and he is always using his slide fire, but he never keeps a barrel long enough to see a difference, he is always swapping parts out, or should I say, I am always doing it for him.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Your point is well taken though. With the skills you obviously have and a few tools you can easily swapout an AR barrel if it doesn't perform up to standards or becomes worn. That's one of the great things about the modular AR system. Parts are plentiful and easy to change.
  6. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

swap a barrel from your buddy or brother-in-law. If your doing all the work it will cost you nothing. now you have the bvest of both worlds

(my buddy has had no issues with his non chromed barrel, and he is always using his slide fire, but he never keeps a barrel long enough to see a difference, he is always swapping parts out, or should I say, I am always doing it for him. )

You just needed to see it from a different perspective. LOL
  7. ejkoechling

go for accuracy
  8. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I thought about it, but I don't like my brother in law that much, do it as a favor for my sister. My buddy is a strange cat. I'm not going to be trying to shoot fleas off a coyote at 400yds. From what I have seen, a chrome lined tube will do just fine for me.
  9. ejkoechling

LOL:ya:
  10. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Can you link me to a few of these "stories"?

I would be very interested to read them.
  11. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I have two chrome lined and two stainless barrels.

After years are figuring which likes what ammo the accuracy of the four goes like this.

Most accurate to least.

Stainless 1-8 twist ArmaLite National Match 20"
    Chrome lined 1-7 twist LMT 16"
    Chrome lined 1-7 twist Colt Match HBAR 20"
    Stainless 1-8 twist Unknown 16"

There's more to accuracy than chrome or non chrome lined barrels. :)
  12. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

Of course, if things play out right by the time the big fat man in the red suit comes around, I may have a few extra stripped uppers to build. I did put them on my list, but got tired of waiting and bought 2 for myself. By my count, I should have at least 2 extra uppers.
  13. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

That's what I wanted to hear.
  14. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I am gona throw something else in the mix here.

I have an hk sl8 that came with a 1 in 7 bbl.

It shoots fmj like @HIT. But when i run vmax bullets i can put 10 rounds in a dime at 100 yrds.

I personally think for an ar you should get a chromed bbl just find the ammo it stablizes for pinpoint accuracy.