Article regarding gun control news poll

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Prizefighter, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

Stop Virginia Tech Shooting Rampage?
    Thursday, April 19, 2007

By Dana Blanton

NEW YORK — Americans say tougher gun laws would not be able to stop t7hings like the Virginia Tech shooting because people who commit these kinds of acts will always find guns.

The latest FOX News poll finds that about one of five Americans (19 percent) believes tougher gun laws can help stop shootings like the one at Virginia Tech, while a 71 percent majority disagrees.

Majorities of gun owners (78 percent) and non-gun owners (64 percent) alike believe that so-motivated individuals will always find ways around gun laws.

Democrats (29 percent) are more than three times as likely as Republicans (8 percent) to say they think tougher gun laws could help stop these kinds of shootings.

Opinion Dynamics Corp. conducted the national telephone poll of 900 registered voters for FOX News from April 17 to April 18. The poll has a 3-point error margin.

A similar question produced roughly the same results after the sniper shootings in the Washington, DC area in late 2002. Fourteen percent of the public felt that tougher gun laws could stop situations like the sniper shootings, though fully 76 percent said they thought people would always find ways around tougher gun laws (22-23 October 2002).

FNC Poll Archive Half of Americans (50 percent) say they or someone else in their household owns a gun. These results show ownership slightly higher than in previous years. Polling conducted from 1999 through 2002 found that between 42 percent and 48 percent of Americans reported someone in their household owns a gun.

Republicans (57 percent) are more likely than independents (53 percent) and Democrats (41 percent) to live in gun-owning households.

In addition, Southerners (62 percent) and Midwesterners (56 percent) are more likely than those living in the West (45 percent) and significantly more likely than those living in the Northeast (27 percent) to be gun owners.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267085,00.html

---

If I find any other reports on these polls that the various networks have been doing, I'll post them here.
  2. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I hadn't read that,but it looks like the majority of Americans are opening their eyes and supporting second amendment rights
  3. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Thanks for the post. I am a fox viewer and have not viewed this poll. Kind of makes me wonder just how, "Fair and Balanced" Fox may be. I am however surprised at the exceptionally low number of gun owners in the North East. Thanks again I guess that makes little ole me one of the lesser individuals in the West. I have maybe two guns,heck maybe three:D Maybe none:eek: catfish
  4. Prizefighter

Prizefighter New Member

From what the article says, I don't think it was an online poll like on CNN and ABC.

I wish they had done an internet poll in addition. One more with thousands and thousands of votes for the 2nd Ammendment like ABC and CNN's would've sent a pretty clear message, at least in my mind.