Asking for AR-15 build advice

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gdmoody, Mar 22, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never asked for the value of a gun on the forum. I take the time to do some research and can usually figure out the value for myself. I have run into an area where I cannot really figure out what I need to know, so I am asking advice from you all.

Here is the deal and the advice I need:

I have a complete upper assembly for an AR-15. It is a Colt upper with 20 inch barrel and is in an A2 configuration without a bayonet lug. It is complete with bolt and bolt carrier group and no ammo has ever been fired through this upper.

I am looking to build a complete rifle for the purpose of selling it. I have looked for Colt lower receivers and cannot find a new one. Evidently Colt will not sell a complete lower. I have found a couple of used ones on the popular gun auction site, but the beginning bids usually start between $600 to $800 and I am not really willing to give that much money to build a rifle that might sell for $1600.

I have looked at getting a Bushmaster complete lower with full A2 style stock; I can get it from Bushmaster for $320 plus shipping and FFL transfer fee. If I put this lower on it, does it remain a $1600 gun or does the value drop because of the Bushmaster lower?

Is there any other lowers that I might look at to make the maximum amount from the sale of this unfired gun? Is there anyone out there that wants to or will buy a hybrid AR-15 with a _insert brand name_ lower and Colt upper?

Mods, if this is not in the proper forum, please move it to where it belongs!
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

gd, the Colt upper will be something that will be highly sought after by AR builders. You may just want to try and sell it as is without mating it to a lower. There's a big market for people buying components like that.

Mating it to a Bushmaster lower will not enhance the value any as Bushmasters are not very highly regarded anymore in the AR community. If you are insterested in a good lower, go with something like a Armalite, Stag or Spike's Tactical. I built an AR recently with an Armalite lower using Rock River Arms internal parts and a complete Rock River upper. The quality of the Armalite lower was excellent and was available locally at the gunstore for $130 out the door. An Armalite lower on a Colt upper would be something that would not hurt the value any.

It' just my opinion, but you will not get any more out of your Colt upper by having it attached to a non-Colt lower. It will be worth as much or more just as it is.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Agreed.

Lowers are personal preference for people. Some like one brand, some others. Mating ANY up with what you have, will not bring the same value as a Colt lower.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I also agree............sell that upper separate.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. That is the kind of information I was looking for. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it is still the truth.
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I don't know if it should hurt at all. IMO you would be saving some money in the long run by not having to buy all those parts and you may be able to get a premium price for that upper.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

I agree with that. Having built several ARs for me and for friends and family, I can tell you that Colt parts always command a premium price. Adding non-Colt parts does nothing to enhance the value of the Colt parts, and it's pretty difficult to resell other parts that you bought at retail and make any kind of profit.

I'd recommend offering the upper complete and let someone else spend the bucks to finish out the gun the way they want it done.