Assault Rifle Ban? Should I build a AR-15

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Infidel Strong, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Infidel Strong

Infidel Strong New Member

Hello,

Well I am debating weather or not to build a AR-15. I have always loved the rifles but the price for my build always stopped me.

I am wanting to build my own but my only concern is if there is a assault weapons ban in the near future would the Gov. confiscate the rifle.

Last thing I wanna do is spend a lot of money and the ban go throw and have to turn it over to the gov.

Now I have always kinda stayed with the .22 pistols and rifles and not that knowledgeable when it comes to politics and guns.

So what should I do, Invest in a AR-15 or buy a pistol which is my second idea.

Sorry if I confused.

Shelby,
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Pretty much all bans are going to grandfather you in- meaning it will be illegal to sell or purchase those guns post-ban... but the chances of the government actually trying to confiscate- though real- are very, very, minor.

You do not necessarily have to build one, I went out and bought one on credit because I wanted to make sure I got one. I paid it off, without paying any interest either I think... and though I am not too comfortable financially yet... I am convinced I made the right choice. :D
  3. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Join the NRA, read up on politics, know the laws, and last but not least if you want to get a gun or build one do it. I owned a bunch of guns but they keep getting sold to my cat and I don't know what she does with them:D
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

welcome to the forum. As for your question I think that you should do whatever makes you happy. I do not sit around and worry about what might happen in the future. If we all did that nothing would ever get done.

If getting an AR or building one is what you would like to do go and do it. If it is a pistol or revolver that you want do it. I have a cabinet full of guns that would be sitting empty if I sat around worrying what if.
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

By the way there are many resources to find out but a few things normally targeted are:

-Folding Stocks
    -Threaded Barrels
    -Pistol Grips

This is why I wasn't worried about grabbing my preferred rifle- the SL-8, chances are it will get through a gun ban (that and at like $2,800 its a bit pricey for the credit card :D).
  6. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

"Shall not be infringed"

Means when they come to get it

BANG BANG :eek:
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

If you would actually be WILLING to hand it over to the Government...then maybe you shouldn't have one in the first place.

These rifles represent Freedom and should be owned by someone willing to fight to keep that "freedom".

mike
    gn
  8. Infidel Strong

Infidel Strong New Member

Accident post, Delete.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I will throw out there that I am selling AR-15 rifles for under a thousand dollars. You can find deals. Not everyone is trying to get rich on every sale....
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Hey glockNUT I agree with you.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Its about time you posted something. Where have you been?

mike
    gn
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I built a couple last year for cheap. Sold 'em for a nice profit.:cool:
  13. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

There's the answer.
  14. kingnothingugm

kingnothingugm Member

My third option is the only option in my opinion...1. build an AR and hope they don't confiscate it...2. Buy a pistol and wish I had built an AR...3. Build the AR...maybe 5 or 6 of them...and if they try to confiscate it...make sure the barrel is burning up...catch my drift? Of course this is my own personal preference...I'll die before anyone thinks I'll roll over and take that!
  15. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Even during the Clinton "AWB" in the '90s, a person could still obtain a basic "AK-47 clone" which had none of the prohibited features, could they not?

This administration has already been pushed into a corner by so much negative press, and won't have much 'political capital' left over for anything, after they pass some sort of new medical insurance bill. They and the Dems in Congress are now sweating out the mid-term elections, as to who will have whichever type of majority.

Look at the panic which was self-created after the election, based on past media quotes (wishes) and gun store/gun show fear-mongering (and nothing happened except for panic-buying and scalping). Remember when Attorney General Eric Holder was immediately 'muzzled' (silenced) after one, single comment last spring about 'assault weapons' going into Mexico?

Anything is possible, but why worry, or even think about a worse version of the previous AWB...look at how many people profited last winter from inflating these fears. They will find it lucrative to do so again in the future.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  16. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

ONLY IF YOU LET THEM.
  17. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

The liberals here in New Jersey go apoplectic about "Assault Weapons".

My advice is do not fight City Hall. If you find yourself in a jurisdiction that does not want certain features on a gun, do not do it just to spite them. If you get caught with a "nasty" gun they can take all your guns. put you in jail, and keep you from ever owning a firearm again.

Also, if you acquire/build an AR-15 that is presently legal in your jurisdiction and the laws change, register it. I was not in New Jersey at the time, but I am told that when the Florio law banning assault weapons was passed the vast majority of "assault wepons" owners did not take advantage of the opportunity to file the paperwork to get their guns grandfathered in. Big Mistake! Those guns are now contraband and the owners felons. Major bummer. Heard that the same thing happened in California.

Be careful out there. There are those in wait who would love to see you trip up.

Personally I would like to have a few 20 or 30 round magazines and a folding stock, but I choose my battles and live without.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  18. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Plus one on this.
  19. Smoke

Smoke New Member

The only "what if" question you should ask is;
    What if I don't get another chance to build an AR?
    Build it, or buy it now & don't look back!
    Stand up & Stand strong!
    "Shall not be infringed"
  20. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

My buddy and me are in the same predicament, sort-of. We came across some plans on how to convert your standard run of the mill sks to take Ak magazines, we wanted to do it but got a little worried about the ATF so we never did. I did at one point and time own an SKS they called a paratrooper model, the chinese however never issued anything different to their airborne troops, what it was was some company here had bought up sks's converted the magazine and shortened the barrels to 18". We wanted to do it but never did. Maybe once I finish college and get a real job I'll be able to afford neat projects like that.

If you buid your own AR, my hat's off to you sir, cuz I want to do it but simply can't afford to.