Assault Rifle Bolt Catches

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by mebtwisted, Dec 11, 2006.

1. mebtwisted

mebtwisted New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    My question is about bolt catch on assault rifles that prevent the bolt group from travelling forward once the magazine is empty--just like a semiauto pistol. I suspect that these were first developed by Stoner on the AR15, and I know that the M16 still uses them, but I was wondering if other weapons used them as well. (I have heard that the Beretta AR 70 series has a similar device, and I saw a video of a Sig 552 which appeared to have a bolt catch.) They seem like a good idea.

2. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Wellcome mebtwisted!! If you are willing to change the term "assault" rifles for battle or semiauto rifles, the Garand M-1 already had this feature. Prior to it, I´m not sure there was another. Anyway, it was not the AR-15 the first one to have it.

3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    BETWEEN TN & KY
    Some use the empty magazine to hold the bolt back when empty.

4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    South Central Texas
    even some bolt action rifle have magazine block when empty

5. Welcome MEB
    Most bolt catches are on the magazine not the gun.
    And if a gun doesn't have one usually you can change the magazine or follower and solve that problem