The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Assualt weapons ban near death!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Admin 
#1 ·
Anyone understand the total width and breath of the assualt weapons ban coming to the end of its' life this next week? Any other part of the law cause a change?

As I live in CA it has no real effect on me (thanks to our liberal legislature and Diane Feinstein) but what about the rest of you?

LDBennett

#2 ·
Basically nothing in terms of what can be sold, but companies can manufacture and sell guns that are banned (essentially anything that looks like a military weapon, has a bayonett or is intended to hold in excess of 10 rounds) and the magazines over 10 rounds for those guns. No effect on the weapon themselves, except perhaps some more assault-rifle looking guns, but a reduced cost for buyers of those sort of weapons and mags.

Oh, and maybe if we ask real nice H&K will make some UMP clones with 25 round magazines. Mmm.

#3 · (Edited)
What he said. If you wanted a flash hider lately you might have to buy a pre-ban to get it on some models. Otherwise you'd buy the plain barrelled version. Then there were those ridiculous pinned-open folding stocks, and the prices they got for junk folders that happened to be available during the ban.

Soon, you should be able to buy some Colts (if what they claim is true) and you should be able to get a Vector Arms Uzi or an M4-type AR, for example, with the collapsing stocks. Hi-cap mags will again be available and at the old prices. A Glock $20 mag should be a Glock $20 mag. That holds for all the rest of new production. No inflated prices on anything in good supply.

I'm not rushing out to buy on Day One; I'm going to shop prices. There's liable to be a little "price-gouge hangover" for a bit, or a stepping down process as dealers get used to the "new normal" or should I say "old normal." But competition will soon have outlets for all formerly banned items at their regular prices and those that pay too much in the first days will almost certainly want a few words about margins with the guy that sold 'em, or there will be some folks swearing off the shop they bought from. That's always how it seems to work when somebody hears he "coulda got it for a lot less."

You can bet the manufacturers will be making large stocks of restricted items again, in case of another dry spell.

And by the way it shouldn't be bad news for smart dealers since, if local prices become competitive, there will be no reason to shop mail order and pay some shipping. (I don't think some local dealers have any idea how much business they lose to mail order/Internet whenever they price too high.)

#4 ·
I think the biggest benefit is going to be reduced AR-15 costs, american made AK semis and 11+ round magazines for pistols. As a matter of fact as soon as they start being produced I'm going to buy several 18 round magazines for a Glock 17 or some other high-capacity handgun just in case someone decides to ban them again (I can't even buy a pistol yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.