assumptions

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Curtis R, May 19, 2012.

1. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

I open carry and hardly get any reaction, figured out why today. People assume i'm a leo.Now my question is this- I know it's illegal to tell people your a leo when your not but is it illegal to not correct them when they assume on there own that your a leo?
  2. mintaka

mintaka New Member

People case assume anything they wish...I would think if they asked you if you were a Leo, it would be illegal to lie to them if you were not..
    People assume I'm an idiot...what should I tell them:)
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If one comes up to you and says, "Officer, my purse was just snatched", you say, "I'm not a cop, lady, but we'll call 'em", and whip out your handy dandy cell, or go knock on some door and ask 'em to call the cops.

But to look around the room and decide that no one is upset because they assume you are a cop, so you need to holler, "Hey people. I'm not a cop. I'm just a normal everday citizen who carries a gun"?

That seems kinda dumb.

Tell me. How do you know what they are thinking?
  4. Poppypaul

Poppypaul Member

You have no obligation to correct an erroneous assumption on their part.
  5. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

6. raven818

I would think, the only way you can know that folks assume your a LEO, is because they've told you so, or you overheard it.

If someone were to ask you just one question, totally innocuous, about being an LEO, or if the academy is hard to get into, or whatever, and you answer it, no matter how broadly, you have just impersonated a police officer.

Imagine another scenario. Your in a restaurant, store, 7-11 and something goes down. After the smoke clears, witnesses tell the real cops that your a cop, and you didn't do anything to stop it. Or, a drug deal is going on at the very spot your getting out of your car. Who's going be be their immediate target?

Do what you wish, but I can see it eventually leading to a problem if it goes on long enough.
  7. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

I am not too sure....and as to original post...my "opinion" to you is if you
    find that that has occurred, politely explain you are not, just a permit holder...

Per Poppypaul's advice...I was once a reserve LEO, but my main career was
    electronic perimeter security...and in such...I completed either new construction or existing correctional and prison facilities..over 150 state
    and half (33 at the time ) of the fed BOP locations...I say this to add that
    per my demeanor and looks (and always a $200 Stetson on first visit) it was
    very common for me to arrive and be told either "here is the Marshall's
    sign in sheet or Marshall's enter over there "...etc...

As to the posters comment....if indeed it is at like a food or service
    venue or place...and gal says "LEO get a discount" etc...(it has happened
    to me ) then there may indeed be a problem if he says nothing to contrary
    OR worse...quietly accepts the discount or perception ..when he "knows"
    it exists....that is key..."he knows perception existed "...

Just my two cents....

:D
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I have a cousin in New York city and her husband is a NYPD officer and they came in indiana for a visit and I told her husband that I would love to have a NYPD t shirt.About a week later a package arrived and it was from my cousins husband.He bought me a police issure shirt Just like they wear.Its kinda like a polo with NYPD on the back in refective letters and then It has their patch on the arm and a embroiderd badge on the front.I could where it and have no problem but from a distance when you see the patch it could easily be mistaken for a police officer.I just keep it as a momento and he also sent me a hat and a bunch of decals.All the stuff was pretty cool and not expected.
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I dunno...good question. People often confuse me for Brad Pitt and I never correct them. I mean why spoil their fun. I just smile warmly and give them their autograph.
  10. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

I would never accept a discount on a mistake. My wife and I were at a fastfood place this a.m. and we were jokeing with the counter girl. WE were eating and my wife went to get more tea and there was no sweet and low so she went to the counter and reached behind the counter to get a pack the counter girl jokingly said "thief, call the police...oh wait she is with the police" We were getting ready to leave so I didnt correct her. I would never tell anyone I was a leo and if it had been a serious stuation I would have corrected things.
  11. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

Well you just did, and by saying you would have corrected her, you know you did. By not correcting her assumption you and your other left her with the impression that you are. While what you did most likely isnt illegal(depending on the law and how its written in your neck of the woods), its on par with the mall ninjas who get off wearing their pseudo tac gear trying to give off the LEO vibe. You know the ones that make statements that vaguely hint at being a LEO without coming right out and saying it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Let's see. How can I put this nicely?

Nope. Can't think of a nice way.

You're so full of crap your eyes are brown.
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

+1
  14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

How does that work?

30 years ago, my brother attended the local Police Academy. That Academy happened to be on the other side of the fence in my back yard. I watched future officers train every day.

So if someone asked me if it was hard to get into, I'd tell them to take the test. If someone asked me if the training was tough, I'd tell them that ya gotta do a lot of running and exercising. AND ya get sprayed with mace so ya know 1st hand what it's like.

How does that qualify as impersonating an Officer?
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

:confused:

You can assume anything you want about me. That's YOUR choice, and in no way am I obligated to correct your assumption.
  16. raven818

Bob, the OP already has people believing he's the police, and he's enjoying it. He has no intention of correcting them.

I'll reword it, slightly...officer, is it hard to get into the academy. I've known a lot of security guards who were wannabee cops, didn't have what it takes to be a cop. At least those pretenders most of the time wore some kind of emblem saying they were rent-a-cops.

Walking around flashing a gun and getting off pretending you're something your not, is not the same.

Uh, aand didn't have time to say " I am not a cop?? I typed that in less than 5 seconds, I could have said it a whole lot quicker.

He can go on with his little fantasy world, but it takes a man to say he's wrong, and an upstanding person to correct a mistake. Not correcting it says a lot.

Role playing is for juveniles, unarmed ones.
  17. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I guess I don't understand.

If I'm a cop, and someone asks me such, I have to say yes?

If someone assumes I'm a cop, I have to enlighten them?

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time wrapping by brain around that logic.
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You and me both.
  19. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I fully agree. Just because someone assumes something about you does not mean you have to inform them otherwise. Just because the O.P. is wearing in full view does not necessarily prove that he is pretending to be someone that he really is not, it just means he is exercising his right to open carry. I don't want to accuse someone of carrying for his mown ego if I do not know for sure.

I do know that there are some who carry that like the attention, but there is no proof that the O.P. carries for that reason. The only things we know for sure is someone thought he was a cop, and he did not say that we wasn't when he found out that they thought he was. There has been no crime committed here.

One thing I will say. Just because one person thinks the O.P. is a cop does not mean everybody thinks that way. As a matter of fact most people are too complacent to even notice that someone has a gun in open carry situations. There is a big guy that shops where I shop. He stands maybe 5'11", and I will guess him to be aroung 250 to 260 in weight, and he is not overly fat. He is just wide naturally and if someone tried to physically grab him hyou can tell that he would easily have the ability to literally grab them and hurt them easily. However he is super nice. He carries a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag on his belt, right hand open carry. I have not seen him for a several months now, but normally I see him after church with his wife shopping and he is fun to talk with. The interesting thing is this,,, when he is standing in the line with his revolver in full view I always watch the looks on people's faces when they see his rig. However the funny thing is most don't. People are so busy and preoccupied that they don't even see the hand cannon on this guys side. There it sits in a Bianchi holster for the world to see and many don't even notice it. Some do, but even the ones that do notice the cannon know he is not a cop, but yet people are pretty cool about it. The funny part is when people see he has the gun, they don't crowd him and that is too funny.

One last comment. I have gotten to know this fellow and he does not carry to be someone he is not. He is a hard working American citizen and he tells me he is standing up for our rights to own and bear arms. I personally carry stealth like, but I have no problem with people open carrying responsibly. That is my opinion. Great comments Bob and ALPO I agree with you two rednecks. :D
  20. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

5 seconds to type, quicker to say. Then a 15 minute conversation with the lady to explain why he open carrys and that yes mam it is legal, etc etc etc.