assumptions

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Curtis R, May 19, 2012.

1. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

Not really worried about someone being nice, but please explain what part is full of crap? He asked about the legality. I pointed out it probably wasn't. I didnt look to see where he lived, even if I had, I dont know what assinine regulations there may be in his locality. He knew very well he left her with the impression that he was an Officer, that in my book is the same thing. If someone just forms an opinion thats one thing. Someone voicing that opinion to you, and you not correcting it, is the same as an affirmation.

The mall ninja comment and the picture were just in reference to him not correcting her. It had nothing to do with him open carrying, I dont care how you carry. If both are legal in your area, then its your choice. Dont make it something it wasnt.
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

He did not leave her with that impression, that was HER assumption. Maybe for him he did not want to stop to explain. We don't know but we do know that he did not TELL her he was a cop. She arrived at her impression of who he was by a decision that she made on her own. If it was me I would have spoke up and said, "oh, I am not a LEO," but not everyone is going to respond the same. That is my opinion and I respectfully say that.
  3. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Exactly right. This whole discusion is rather silly. I don't care who someone else thinks you are, you are under no obligation to correct someone else's incorrect assumption. Period. That should be the end of the discussion.

Impersonating a police officer would be if you intentionally represented to another that you are a police officer, and that would be illegal just about anywhere. I wish any prosecutor luck that tries to make a case against someone because of anothers incorrect assumption.
  5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Quote by mb1...This really isnt the same as someone pretending to be one, is it? There are all kind of reasons not confirm that. It also isnt against any law not to confirm that you are a LEO, but it is illegal almost everywhere to claim you are.

beg pardon? it is wrong for any police officer to lie to anyone. that is why many perps ask.."are you a cop?" now nothing wrong for a police officer to dance around the question and allow them to draw their own opinion...but no charge would stick if the police officer lied and said "NOPE, I am NOT a cop" no law you are correct but many many instances in court to make it seem there is a LINE to be held to.
  6. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

After reading what you all have postedI would have to say that I showed poor judgement.The comment was said across a Burgerking dinning area with only one other couple in it. I did not want to yell "I'm not a cop" across back to her and when we left she wasn't at the counter. The one time I was ASKED if I was a police I said no. The checkout lady then said "oh' so you just don't have your ccp yet?" I apalagise to any leo that I might have offended. It is not my entent to represent myself as someone i'm not. I'm 6'4" 360lbs I wear button down shirts and jeans buzzed hair and no hat. Oh and a Springfield xd .45 in the orginal holster. If i wanted to "represent" i would wear black tactical, combat boots ,and a hat that says" look at me i'm a cop".
  7. mb1

mb1 Former Guest

You watch to much TV
  8. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

Since the OP appears to be in North Carolina, here is the applicable statute:

§ 14‑277. Impersonation of a law‑enforcement or other public officer.

(a) No person shall falsely represent to another that he is a sworn law‑enforcement officer. As used in this section, a person represents that he is a sworn law‑enforcement officer if he:

(1) Verbally informs another that he is a sworn law‑enforcement officer, whether or not the representation refers to a particular agency;

(2) Displays any badge or identification signifying to a reasonable individual that the person is a sworn law‑enforcement officer, whether or not the badge or other identification refers to a particular law‑enforcement agency;

(3) Unlawfully operates a vehicle on a public street, highway or public vehicular area with an operating red light as defined in G.S. 20‑130.1(a); or

(4) Unlawfully operates a vehicle on a public street, highway, or public vehicular area with an operating blue light as defined in G.S. 20‑130.1(c).

If the individual does not verbally state they are LEO, or wear or display a badge or ID of any type that may cause a reasonable person to interpret it as identifying the wearer as a LEO, then there is no issue.

As a former LEO, I have seen individuals wear a firearm, carry handcuffs on their belt, spare magazine pouches, wear a LEO type of haircut and carry themselves as if they were LEO's. While not a violation, it is asking for trouble in the long run. Those type of individuals will sooner or later cross the line in their wannabe role play mind and get themselves in trouble. I am not saying the OP is doing this, but simply that I have seen it happen.
  9. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

Thanks for the answer. And what does "op" stand for? Sorry for my ignoreance.
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

OP = Original Poster
  11. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

oh duh! thanks again
  12. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In the state of Illinois if you see some one wearing a gun you need to assume they are LEO as it not legal to carry in this state.
  13. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

That sucks man. Sorry to hear.
  14. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I say stay away from the crazy bimbo and her stupid assumpions.
  15. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thank you for your service Flashbang.:)