astra 400

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 11:53:48 am)
    | Edit | Del All astra 400
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was checking out archives on the cruffler site and found this.

often suggested that the Astra Model 400, due to its unique chamber, was designed to fire a wide variety of nominally 9mm diameter cartridges, ranging from the 9mm Parabellum to the 9mm Browning Long to the .38 ACP to the .38 Super to the 9mm Steyr. THIS IS UNTRUE. The ONLY cartridge that one should attempt to fire in an Astra 400 is the 9mm Largo. Failure to do so may result in a spontaneous disassembly of the firearm and severe injury or death to the shooter.

I never hear of a gun "spontaneously disassembling" before. I just thought they BLEW UP.

AGunguy
    (11/16/01 1:03:21 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: astra 400
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In other words, don't turn your Astra into a handgrenade. Sounds cool.

Gunguy

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/16/01 1:16:12 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: astra 400
    I wonder if it will also spontaneously clean up after being fired???
    Confused? Don't be so sure.

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/16/01 3:14:16 pm)
    | Edit | Del Unfortunately
    it will chamber and fire those rounds. Aside from the 9mm Largo you mention, the .38 ACP (not super) should be okay.

gun runner john
    (11/16/01 5:12:38 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Unfortunately
    If the .38ACP isn't OK, those Spainards made a mistake when they marked my 400!

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/16/01 5:28:57 pm)
    Early on in the production of the Astra 400s, the Spanish determined that the 38ACP was dimensionally almost the same and at a power level comprable to the 9mm Largo. Subsequently, the slightly widened the bolt face so that it would accept 9mm Largo or 38ACP. Some of the very low serial number Astra 400s will not have the "9mm/38" marking, but only "9mm".

Definately do not fire anything but 9mm Largo or 38ACP in Astra 400s. There is plenty of surplus 9mm Largo available, and Blazer makes a 9mm Largo loading. I have also heard that some other domestic cartridge manufacturers are considering loading that caliber. Other rounds such as 9mm parabellum and 380ACP will work in the Astra 400, but it puts undue stress on the extractor which holds the cartridge in place, and you run a great risk of breaking the extractor.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/16/01 10:58:03 pm)
    Well if they start loading it commercially I MAY just keep mine...

Mine will spontaneously bite me, is that the same thing?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915