Astra 900 Bob?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/28/02 4:10:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Astra 900 Bob?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am about to make a deal on an Astra 900, and I don't find any detailed stripping instructions in any of my books. Anyone have something on this gun? I'm thinking Bob much have at least one of these.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/28/02 7:23:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Astra 900 Bob?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yup - got a couple of them. I'll have to see what I can dig up. They look like the Broomhandle on the outside, but are actually a less complex design internally. I should have a diagram somewhere ----

Let me know some details on it when you get it - there were a couple different changes over time, such as in the legend script on the side.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/29/02 12:20:58 pm)
    Well, I was told that the legend is:

ASTRA AUTOMATIC PISTOL CAL 7.63, PATENTED JULY 12, 1928, Ser. 16xxx

It's supposed to be better than 80% original finish, slight pitting on one side, excellent bore, and I'm paying $500 for it. I have a couple of pictures that seem to support the general condition. That seems pretty low for one in this condition, what am I missing?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/29/02 4:10:56 pm)
    That is the second variation - two line address, found on pistols from serial #12,000 to #20,000.

This was changed to a three line address after #20,000, and those prior to #12,000 had a one line address.

I wonder if it has been reworked/reblued? Otherwise, sounds like you are getting a good deal!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/29/02 7:32:42 pm)
    500 bucks - FOR POT METAL???????
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/29/02 7:43:43 pm)
    Ah, but it is rare and mighty fine potmetal!

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/30/02 8:11:15 am)
    Well, I'm going to call and finalize the deal and ask the same questions in person, just to make sure there are no misunderstandings.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/30/02 8:56:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Astra 900 Bob?
    kdub - one man's potmetal is another man's prize.

Hope it's what you are looking for gun runner john.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/2/02 5:28:13 am)
    John - I'm still looking - haven't had time to dig through the dusty ol' pile in the back corner yet ---

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/4/02 8:00:45 am)
    No sweat, I don't have the gun yet, but my money is on it's way.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/4/02 8:09:38 am)
    The diagram and dissassembly instructions are in the mail to you!

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/7/02 5:29:13 pm)
    Bob, got the instructions, looks good. Thanks, now all I need is the gun. I figure I'll call him tomorrow to make sure he has the money and the gun is on the way.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/8/02 5:39:53 am)
    Good deal - hope it is a fine acquisition!

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/10/02 6:45:24 pm)
    Getting warmer, got an email with a UPS tracking number!

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/17/02 10:30:31 am)
    Well, I got the Astra, it wasn't quite as advertised. It does appear to be all original, and the original finish has turned plum, which is fine, and it's indeed 70-80%. The bore is a disappointment, it's completely smooth! On the brighter side, I talked to the seller and got a $75 adjustment in the price, since it wasn't as represented. The only problem is, if I want to shoot this, I'll have to do something about the barrel.

Is there a source for stuff like springs for these guns? I did a search but didn't turn up anything. If I shoot it someday, I think I'd like to have a new recoil spring at least...

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/17/02 11:17:38 am)
    You might check with Federal Arms Corporation (FAC) for the parts - I'll keep looking for other sources.

Sounds like you got at least one of the better Chinese surplus ones. Most of them have a poor to fair exterior with a smooth bore. The Chinese Warlords didn't care much for arms maintenance, and when the communists took over, they just threw them in the back corner of a warehouse and forgot about them.

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/17/02 4:16:17 pm)
    Here's my Astra 900. Getting it a little cheaper didn't hurt my feelings too much, I'd have sent it back if there wasn't some allowance...

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/17/02 5:03:32 pm)
    Hey, Gun Runner -

Looks like it would make a handy club, if'n you ran outa' buddits!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/17/02 6:14:31 pm)
    It is big enough to do some damage!