Astra Constable .22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Shep, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Shep

Shep New Member

Took a couple of .22 out in the back yard for a little after work plinking.
    Had been quite a while since I had fired the little Astra. Will have to include it more often on my plinking outings. For a little inexpensive pistol, it really is a nice shooter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks a bit Bond-ish..PPK. He did carry the Walther, right?
  3. Shep

Shep New Member

The Astra is Walther PPK copy with a few changes. Not as well fitted and finished as a Walther, but not nearly as expensive either.
  4. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One of my wife's hand guns is a Firestorm .380. Very similar in looks. I don't know what anybody's opinion of the gun is, but it's never misfired or had any issues.

Hang on to it, I think it's a neat looking little plinker.
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have a .380 and it shoots well.

It's hard to dig up stuff on the internet about them. At one time I was able to find that the 380 was the issue sidearm for many agencies in europe.

I'm keeping mine. It fits in my pocket, medium wt., and handles well. Finding ammo can be iffy at times.
  6. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

Yes, Bond used the Baretta .32 semi-auto for about the first 6 or 7 movies. Then they made him start carrying the PPK. But I don't know the caliber. Even Chas. Bronson as Paul Kersey in "Death Wish" used a .32 revolver and very effectively.
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I once owned a Constable in .22 caliber that was nickel (possibly chrome) plated and engraved. It worked flawlessly with the right ammo.

The Astra Constable became a popular pistol in the late 1960's after the Gun Control Act of 1968 had banned the importation of the PPK. The Astra met the new size regulations but the Walther did not. We didn't start to see PPK pistols again until Walther started making them in the USA.