astra cub .22 short magazine capacity

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by redhouserocks, Jan 14, 2009.

1. redhouserocks

redhouserocks New Member

not sure if this is the correct place to post, but my aunt gave my a brand new astra cub, .22 short, still in box last year (she found it in a drawer still wrapped in gift wrap). I lubed it up and shoot it for fun all the time. Question: I picked up an extra mag for it at a local gun show this past weekend ... How many rounds is the mag "supposed" to hold max? Seems like the new mag holds one more than the one that came with it ... the guy said it may be for a Colt. They both work flawlessly, just curious about the max rounds. (Also, any opinion about shooting hollow-point .22 shorts as a better defense? I carry a .45 in the car, but I can see times where I may want to just keep this in my pocket)
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A hollowpoint generally needs to go around 1000 fps to open. There is no way a short is going to go that fast out of a Cub, so there is no need in buying hollowpoints. I would use CCI, though, as I believe they are faster than other brands. With that small a gun, you need all the velocity you can get for better penetration.

I'm glad you got a spare magazine that works. The one I bought (Triple K) has the locking notch cut a little high. It locks up, but the magazine is sitting too low for the top round to be picked up. Quite annoying.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the colt jr was made for colt by astra. magazines inter-change as does the magazine for a fie "the best" which is the same gun with all parts being 100% inter-changable. and if i recall right they hold 6 rounds i'd have to check the safe when i get home to be sure .i have a colt jr in 22 short
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

They should hold 6 rounds.
  5. robsalguz

robsalguz New Member

Agree with Bill DeShivs. I own one and it holds 6 rounds. Some have modified the magazine follower to add one more round (7) and it works fine. I like to keep things simple so I have turned down this modification in mine so I will not do it. To give you more info...the magazine was intended/designed for .25 ACP caliber and thus this have enough space to hold one round more but you need to modify the magazine follower. Look for info in this forum about this if you like.
    Is a nice little gun. I fell in love with it the first time I shoot it. You can hit a head size target at 15 mts pretty well even though the small barrel.
    Astra made thousands for Colt long time ago which were intended for the American market under Colt brand name. Good quality. Don't sell it. Keep it. It will last and service well long time.