Astra Cub .22 short REASSEMBLY!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tlpruitt, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tlpruitt

tlpruitt New Member

I got an Astra Cub .22 short pistol from my dad years ago and found it in a drawer today. I decided to clean and lubricate it since it probably had never been done. It came apart easily per the instruction booklet and I wiped it down and oiled it and started reassembly. That's where the trouble began. I tried for at least 3 hours to reassemble it before I decided to ask for help. The problem is that the slide won't move back far enough to get the barrel screwed in to place. I tried without installing the spring assembly just see if that was hang the slide up. It went back but of course that didn't do any good. Am I missing a step or what? If it weren't for the sentimental value I'd have trashed it. So if I cant reassemble it I'll just put it back in the box in pieces I guess. I'd appreciate what ever advice is out there. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I wonder if you are putting the barrel in the slide right before installing the slide.

Put the barrel in the slide and turn the barrel clockwise until the three locking lugs turn sideways into the cutout made for them. Then put the recoil spring and guide into the hole in the frame, guide to the rear. Put the slide on the frame, making sure the front of the recoil spring fits in the hole in the front of the slide and retract the slide.

When the slide reaches the slide stop, the stop will kick up into the notch, which is the right position to turn the barrel 90 degrees counter clockwise with the lugs fitting into their slots in the frame.

Jim
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I put the slide on before installing the barrel. I also remove the barrel first, when taking it down.

It fought me just a tad when I was putting the barrel back in. I just took it out and tried again.

Movie I made a couple of years back, showing how to disassemble and reassemble. Click on it.

[​IMG]
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Do have the hammer cocked and the safety in the right position?
  6. tlpruitt

tlpruitt New Member

ERROR
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  7. tlpruitt

tlpruitt New Member

THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched your video and right away I noticed that I was putting the rod the the spring slides on to in BACKWARDS! It went right back together on the first try. For some reason I assumed (and you know what happens when we assume) that the end of the rod with the head on it went toward the front. It looked to me like it held the spring in place to keep it from flying out the front of the gun. I couldn't have been MORE WRONG!! Again thank you for saving my sanity.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Glad it helped. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a movie must be worth ten thousand.