Astra Cub

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by LastTaboo, May 25, 2007.

1. LastTaboo

LastTaboo New Member

The Astra Cub is my favorite little pistol. I'd like to know about this pistol (when it was made, some trivial info, etc...) and if a pistol in the following condition is worth replacing parts on:

All parts are factory stock, including the magazine. Serial numbers (985xx) on frame, slide, and barrel match. Rifling is in good condition.
    Blue on frame is 40%/holster wear and handling, blue on slide is near gone (re-blued with cold blue, which does not last BTW).
    The slide is bent and badly pitted from use and a rupturing case years ago and needs replacement. The extractor also needs replacement. The pistol is still functional, however I don't want to shoot a damaged firearm. The writing on the slide is small and italicized, not like later Cubs, and reads:
    ASTRA-Unceta y Cia. S.A.-Guernica
    Cal .22 short. Made in Spain

The sights are intact.
    The handle on the right side is broken and needs replacement. I was looking at a set of Colt Jr. polymer ivory grips for $60 (can't find the original brown checkered, so I figured why not).
    The pistol has never been stripped more than what is necessary for cleaning.

Both the barrel and the slide have very small symbols stamped in them, what appear to be an encircled "P". On the slide, it is on left side just rear of the grips. On the barrel, the symbol is stamped on the side, above the lock, visible when the slide is forward. On the left side of the frame, visible when the safety is "off", where a painted red dot would appear on later years, are three small symbols: what appears to be a shield with an "X" in it; a * (asterisk) above a B1; and another encircled "P". There is an encircled "S" indicating when the safety is on.

The pistol functions well, but does not feed the bullets properly sometimes. I think this is a magazine problem, but it could be the bend slide.

Is this pistol worth spiffing up... or should I just buy a new one. I was outbid on a long barrel (4") a few days ago. Are these available anywhere or was that one-of-a-kind?

Thanks...
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi LT......welcome to TFF.

The Astra Cub isn't exactly a high end pistol. You can usually pick them up for around 100 bucks......and yours would cost many times that to repair.

The 4" barrel version was known as the Astra Camper.....not one-off or rare, but fewer of them around than the Cub.
  3. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I got me an astra cub....i keep it in the sock drawer, nice little carry pistol, not much of a punch though...
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Of course, if it looks like this it could be worth $500 to $600.

Attached Files:

5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

XRacer, you are mistaken. The Cub is a finely made gun. Astra made the Colt Juniors (same gun) prior to 1968. They bring quite a bit more than $100 in decent shape.
    Parts are available here: http://www.gun-parts.com/astra/
  6. LastTaboo

LastTaboo New Member

Thanks X

I figured the pistol isn't worth much, especially being so worn, but I do like it. It looks like the Camper barrel will fit the Cub, no? Any chance I can find a supplier? I have applied white-out to the sights, which has greatly improved my accuracy, but a 4" barrel would produce truly gratifying results.

I will probably still buy some much-needed replacement parts anyway. I'd rather stick with what I already have rather than buy a new one. For a new paper/novelty pistol purchase, I would rather have a Beretta Bobcat .22 or a Bond Arms Derringer.

For now though, I'm content with the beat up little Astra. It may not be the best or most reliable or have stopping power, but that's what S&W makes such great large caliber revolvers for. For a bored afternoon, the Cub does the trick... and gives me the satisfaction of watching my friends step up, thinking they'll all of a sudden become sharp-shooters because they're holding a "joke" of a pistol, only to watch them actually miss a 4" target at less than 7 yards. They underestimate how short the barrel is, and are also amazed at how much noise comes out of the midget pistol indoors.

...And I've been trying to find a local shop with the fancy, engraved Cub... In fact, I've yet to find a local shop that carries the Cub or Colt Jr. A Camper (or Camper parts) would be heaven-sent.

Bill, I have looked at gun-parts.com many times over, but unfortunately they do not accept Paypal. I'm a little bit too lazy to send a money order, and besides already have a Paypal reserve for gun parts. I believe you are right in the quality of the Cub, as it is a very solid piece. Even with original (and very worn) springs and all, it functions decently and locks up real tight--not even the slightest jangling of the slide. Smooth, smooth, smooth.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a supplier or a man with a Camper barrel or Cub slide with all internal parts intact, willing to accept Paypal as payment, please help.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Camper barrels are rare. Bob's is the only source I know of for parts.
    Post a picture showing your bent slide. I may be able to repair it for you. Or, email pics through my website, below.
    Bill
    www.billdeshivs.com
  8. m2kh8r

m2kh8r New Member

hello gentlemen:
    i too have a question about an astra .22 short. this was one of my grandfathers. he purchased it pre-1960 something. it is in good condition for its age. serial # starts 69xxx. any info is appreciated. looking for an approximate manufacture date. also the marking above the trigger is A-1 as opposed to the pic above which is marked C-1.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I believe your engraved Cub was made in 1955.
  10. Bill DeShivs

And it's silver plated. The grips are plastic, not pearl.
    Bill
  11. m2kh8r

m2kh8r New Member

Thank you.
  12. ccaler

ccaler New Member

Hello -

My girlfriend's grandfather gave me his old Astra-Uncetay Cìa S.A. - Guernica Cal .22" Short as a gift yesterday. I know it's very old and don't know much about it. The SN starts as 17xxxx. I would like to figure out how to strip it so that I may properly clean it and restore it more for sentimental/heirloom value. Can anybody tell me anything about it? There's not many decent gunsmiths in my area.

I will post a picture shortly.
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

First, remove the magazine and make sure the chamber is empty, double check the chamber.With the safety in the off position, retract the slide, with your thumb push up on the safety lever until it engages the small cut out on the slide, the slide should now be locked back. Turn the barrel clockwise until it stops,release the safety and the slide will pull forward off the frame.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Unload the gun. Pull the slide back and flip the safety up so that it catches in that forward notch. Turn the barrel clockwise a half turn. Release the safety catch and let the slide go forward slowly against spring pressure. The slide and barrel come off the end, leaving the spring in its recess in the frame. Turn the barrel counterclockwise a half turn and pull it out of the slide forward. Pull the spring and guide rod out of the recess.

Your gun is now field-stripped, into five pieces.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  15. ccaler

ccaler New Member

Thank you very much