Astra Firecat 25 automatic, Sterling PPL 380

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Patz, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Patz

Patz New Member

My son-in-law has an Astra Firecat 25 automatic, serial #860356 and would like to know its value.
    He also has a Sterling PPL 380 pistol, serial #644, and would like to know its value.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Firecat will bring retail $100-300 depending on condtion. Average good shape is around $200. On the Sterling, there were a couple of makers using that name. If it is the American company (I don't recall a .380), the gun is very inexpensive and would bring around $100-150 tops at retail.

Jim
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The Sterling PPL is a rare gun. They are rare because they weren't very good guns. I doubt it will bring more than $250 in very good condition.
  4. rbking

rbking New Member

The PPL .380 was the first and last Sterling I ever owned. When they were marketed in the mid 70's, I was interested in collecting U.S. made .380 caliber pistols. I had all the usual suspects in my collection at that time, i.e. Colt, High Standard, Remington Savage etc.

To make a long story short the PPL was total caca, it just wouldn't function no matter what I did to tweak it. As far as I'm concerned it should have been named POS not PPL.

Good luck on selling the one you have. Prepare to run like heck if the new owner buys it as a shooter, and it doesn't.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I believe part of my not recalling that Sterling is that I prefer not to think about crud like that. I reject the idea of laws to "control" those cheap guns, but that doesn't mean I will ever recommend them.

Hi, rbking,

Did you have an Indian .380 in your collection? Those are pretty uncommon.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. rbking

rbking New Member

Don't even recall that one to well. Senioritas is setting in I'm afraid. Was that the stainless steel one from MI?