The Firearms Forum banner

Astra-Hope??? Model Year ????

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  linc54 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone I'm new to this forum and have question about a pistol I have I believe it's a Astra, although nothing says it. I've been searching along time for some info. Ok it's about 4 1/4" long by 3" tall, 2 1/4" barrel, the slide has " CAL 6_35 & 25 Automatic Pistol "
COQ Patent
also on the right side it's marked for fire-safe, by the lever, the only safety, and HOPE is at the end of the frame under the slide.
Spain is stamped next to the magazine catch
the mag is stamped EU
the barrel has the Hope on it and what looks to be a number next to the name , serial on the bottm of the barrel.
serial# 265968
the grips are a nice wood, has what looks like a walnut finish.
I have pics if you need 'em, it fires great, looks nice.Can I get a year and model?? Thank-you,Linc54

#4 ·
It would seem that you have a Model 1911. The only reference I have is from Dr. Antaris's book on Astras. He notes that production of this model began, as the name suggests, in 1911 and continued for quite some time while several changes were incorporated. Not much detail, I'm afraid, but I "hope" it helps. Best of luck -- Steve

#5 ·
Hi linc.......welcome to TFF. :)

If it's not marked "ASTRA", it's probably not an Astra, but, rather one of the many, many copies of the "Baby Browning" made in the Eibar Region of Spain by one of the many dozens of small arms manufacturing companies that flourished in the region between about 1910 to 1930.

Astra was one of the larger gun manufacturers in the Eibar Region, and, as far as I know, always marked their firearms.....many of the smaller makers didn't.

#7 · (Edited)
Gosh I wish BobinStL was still around. He knew EVERYTHING about Eibars....

He had over 247 of them from just about all the Spanish gunmakers when I was at his place in like 2001 or 02. And he not only could give you date. maker, history and value, but he would also regale us with his latest incarnation of his favorite dream involving Julie Andrews, the Alps, and her wearing nothing but a pair of Eibar .32s in a low slung double rig, for FREE....:p

#11 ·
Looks like a copy of the Colt mod. 1908 Hammerless.
It is Berto.....or actually a copy of the Browning Model 1905 "Vest Pocket" (aka "Browning Baby"). The Colt M1908 was a license-built version of the Browning.

See: http://precisionsmallarms.com/history.htm

Shortly after it's introduction in 1906, it proved so popular that many dozens of other small Belgian and Spanish gun makers (including Astra) started making copies and flooding the market with them.

#20 ·
Hi Bill, I did alot of researching today, plus I looked at the pistol under a magnifying glass, what I came up with it's a Esperanza y Unceta, the barrel has HOPE and the letters PG w/ a crown over it. The HOPE on the frame has a E over the top,U on the bottom all in a crest like logo. And the mag has EU on it too. It must be an early model, Esperanza translates to HOPE in english, from what one site said. But they don't know why the name or if it has anything to do with Esperanza ? I tried to find something with the COQ patent, but all I found was Continental arms co., Ladies companion model, a revolver made in the 1860's. Thanks Linc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.