Astra Model 1916 Assembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

gun runner john
    (7/21/01 2:46:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Astra 1916 Assembly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK folks, I need a hand. I picked up a "project" gun, a little Astra 1916. Actually, I don't know if Astra actually made this gun, or it was a licensed copy. In any case, the slide says.

6.35 1916 MODEL AUTOMATIC PISTOL
    ASTRA PATENT

It also has a Spain stamp, no surprise there. Now, for the problem.

Although the exterior was in pretty good shape, probably 90-95%, the gun has not been cared for in a long time. I detail stripped it and cleaned all the surface rust off the pieces, and got it looking pretty good inside. I've just about finished assembly, when a problem surfaces. The hammer/sear spring is a leaf spring that has more strength than I have! It has to be compressed to slide under the sear and engage the hammer. I have not yet figured a way to do that! Any ideas?

TYRVR
    (7/21/01 3:11:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Astra 1916 Assembly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I have to exert pressure in A small area, I use A "C" clamp with the pad removed, very handy for spring compression in some balky guns like double Bbl.s, sounds like it may work for You,
    If Heaven ain't got A loading bench.....I'm going to Hell,

gun runner john
    (7/21/01 4:28:57 pm)
    I thought of the C-clamp, but it's a pretty awkward place to put it. I may have to "invent" a C-clamp that fits... I thought there may be an assembly sequence "trick" like many other guns, but I can't find anything on this model.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/01 4:46:30 pm)
    I'm courious about your lil Astra. Do you have a picture? I have a Colt Pocket Model copied after the Model 1908. There were 2 of these brought out after WWII the Jr. Colt and the Colt Automatic 25. They were produced by Astra on a sub-contract and were marked "made in Spain" for Colt. The ser. # ran from 10C to 85082C. Importation stopped in 1968.
    Could you be alittle more descriptive of your specium?
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

gun runner john
    (7/21/01 7:22:40 pm)
    I can show you a picture of the parts loosely assembled to look like a gun. There are some key internal parts missing, hence this topic...

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/01 7:36:33 pm)
    Kind of sort a looks like the lil colt.

rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 7/21/01 8:37:30 pm

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/21/01 7:51:30 pm)
    This is the Astra pistol that with slight modification became the Model 200 by 1920. The first Model 200 started with serial no. 233,461. The first variation M200 had no grip safety like this one. A lot of squirrely variations came out of the factory around WWI, so this may be an earlier model 1911/16 (Victoria) that had Astra grips put on it, or it may be in the actual transition to the Astra brand name. Lots of different variations of these.

Don't worry about putting it together. Just throw all the parts in a box and give it to me. You don't really want it anyway, do ya?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Pimp

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/22/01 9:57:10 am)
    Nice try Bob! I finally took a new tack and managed to get the damned thing together. I removed the hammer, but put in the sear and mag latch. When I used a slim brass punch and pounded the spring down from the top until it was correctly seated. Then came the tricky part, how to get the hammer, which is under considerable tension even when lowered, back in place. I took some flexible plastic and made a strip that I wedged the spring forward, put in the hammer, then yanked the plastic out. Shazam, the mainspring was installed! It took several hours to finally get it together, and I'm never taking it apart again!

Bob In St Louis
    (7/22/01 2:14:28 pm)
    I looked at my Astra Model 200s, First Version, and I have one serial number 246,5XX that has 1916 on the slide, but proofs and serial number put it at 1920 to 1922. Looks just like your picture. Besides "Hope" appearing on the right rear side of the frame, does it also appear on the barrel as viewed through the ejection port? If so, you have the original barrel also. Glad you could get it together. Looking to sell or trade?
    HHHHHHMMMMMMMM?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/22/01 5:08:51 pm)
    You're right, the "Hope" stamp is in both places. The bore is pretty good, but not perfect. Strong rifling, but noticable spots. The rest of the gun is very nice, there were two small spots of surface rust on the outside, one polished away completely without affecting the bluing. The only spot that is noticable now is in the serrations on the slide, between one set. I think with a bit more work, I can clean that up better, but I didn't want to rush it. I love the little cartridge chambered indicator, I wondered what that was when I first picked it up. It was pretty cruddy inside, but everything cleaned up nicely, not a bad $100 purchase.

BTW, the serial number range is 254xxx, any idea when it was made?

Edited by: gun runner john at: 7/22/01 6:09:48 pm

Bob In St Louis
    (7/22/01 8:19:04 pm)
    Len Antaris's book on Astra Pistols puts serial number range 247,151 to 318,500 as 1922 to 1934. The Astra factory records for the Model 200s in this time period were lost during the Spanish Civil War. I would guess by the fact it is a First Variation with the 1916 slide inscription, and your serial number is towards the earlier end of this range that it was likely made 1922 to 1925. The "Hope" proof marking was dropped by 1927 when the letter year code system was started. So definately, it is pre 1927.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/23/01 4:01:39 pm)
    Thanks, interesting info.
  2. DJnRF

DJnRF Member

Re: Astra Model 1916 - Seeking Info

I have an Astra which I have been unable to properly identify.
    This model is a hammerless version, with a lanyard ring on the
    left side bottom of the frame.

(Left side of slide)
    7.65 1916 Model Automatic Pistol
    Astra Patent

Five digit serial no. 79xxx

(Right side of slide)
    Esperanza y Unceta GUERNICA(Spain)

Stamped on barrel, which can be viewed through ejection port;
    HOPE

There is a crown crest with the letters of P C, or P O, P Q, or P G
    immediately below the crown. Unable to determine the exact
    letter after the P as there is a nic on the barrel that obscures it.

The frame, slide, and barrel all have the same four digit number
    stamped on them, but not part of the serial number.

Many years ago I owned one of these weapons I had bought
    for ten bucks. That was probably back in the 1950's. It was
    very worn, but shot well.

This one looks almost new. Wood checked grips are still sharp,
    and the grips show no sign of wear. The same goes for the
    bluing. Absolutely beautiful finish.

When I had the first one, and carried it while visiting Mexico,
    a friend I was visiting who graduated, and was commissioned
    with me informed me that what I had was a Spanish Military
    pistol, but not anything of the model specifics.
    He did say that the pistols with HOPE on the barrel, but not
    on the frame or slide were specifically issued to officers on the
    HOPE ships in WW1.

I have not been able to find anything on this pistol, and
    unfortunately need a firing pin that has broken. The back
    half has broken off and has not been found. This happened
    when I first got this and fired it for testing. (Fired well, and
    accurately the first round, but broke during the second.)

Anyone have any idea?
  3. ozarkeod

ozarkeod New Member

I also have an Astra Model 1916 with markings I haven't been able to identify.
    On left side of slide it has the common 7.65 1916 Model Automatic Pistol.

On the next line (which starts about 1/8" from front end of slide) is PARAMOUNT "BRUNSWIG" Patent Cal 32 The "BRUNSWIG" stamp is twice the height of PARAMOUNT and the "BRUNSWIG" is on top of ASTRA so it's bearly visible underneath. The ending " almost touches Patent.

On the right side of slide, "BRUNSWIG" starts about middle of extractor and ends at center of the ejection port.

All other markings seem to be normal, but the overstamp of ASTRA by "BRUNSWIG" is something I can't find in any references.

Anyone have any info on these markings? Thanks for your help.
  4. djdarrin

djdarrin New Member

I just inherited my FIL's 1916 Astra and it's in excellent shape. However, after shooting it today (which was, most likely, the first time its been shot in over 20 years), I have some questions. About every 2 or 3 rounds would stove pipe on me. When it wasn't doing this, it was performing really nice. I'm guessing that I may need a new spring and/or a new magazine? Perhaps the magazine's spring was not as taut as it should be after all these years? But I think it may be the actual gun spring - my problem is that I can't find this part anyone online. Does anyone know where/how I could get one of these?
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

"Brunswig" is a name (a variation of Braunschweig), probably the name of the retail dealer who sold the gun. It was common in some countries, especially Germany, for the retailer to mark his name on products he sold, guns included. Any available space was used and it was not too uncommon for the name to be stamped over factory markings.

Jim
  7. djdarrin

djdarrin New Member

1916 Astra .32

deleted by poster
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010