Astra Pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Joburg Dan, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Joburg Dan

Joburg Dan New Member

I own an Astra Pistol, but I am unsure how to determine the model. I can't seem to find the model number. It is marked that it shoots both 9M and 38 auto. I believe it is either a 400 or 600. Can anyone give me some guidance on this??
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    It is an Astra Model 400 :)

It will chamber:
    9mm Bayard Long
    .38 ACP (NOT .38 SUPER)
    9mm Browning Long
    9mm Glisenti
    9mm Parabellum (Luger)
    9mm Steyr
    (this is due to it's chamber design)

NiB $408 Ex $367 Gd $153
  3. Joburg Dan

Joburg Dan New Member

Thanks MtnBoomer. I suspected it was the 400. The condition is better than good, but not mint.

Have a good one,

Joburg Dan
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

5. Joburg Dan

Joburg Dan New Member

Thanks for the site reference XRACER. It helped a lot. An interesting thing in the write up about the 400 -- it states that the 400 does not have a manual safety; however, mine has a definite safety just like the picture of the 600. Mine is definitely not the 600 based on the short size of the 600 in the photo.

Any thoughts on the safety?

By the way, I am glad to have found this website. It is very interesting to browse.

Joburg Dan
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well Dan.....I'm not personally all that familiar with the Astra 400. Neither the Blue Book or the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms makes any mention of the 400 either having (or not having) a manual safety....other than the grip safety.

The 400 was produced from 1921 to 1945....a period of 34 years. It's possible that some time during the production run, a manual safety was added.

Here's another possibility....the Blue Book states: "This particular model in reworked configuration has recently been imported in large quantities".....it's possible that "reworked configuration" was the addition of a manual safety by the importer in order to be able to import these guns for sale in this country.

And further......take a look at this pic:

http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/Astra_400.jpg

This exploded view seems to show three safeties....

#38 Grip Safety.....OK this one I understand

#10 Safety Catch....is this a manual safety, or does it merely function as a slide "hold open"?

#29 Magazine Safety....manual safety? Or does it simply prevent the firing of the pistol with no magazine inserted?

I dunno......your guess is as good as mine..... :D
  7. Joburg Dan

Joburg Dan New Member

XRACER,

Thanks again. This drawing does match my pistol and I have confirmed that it has 3 safeties. The slide catch does also act as a safety. Also, the clip must be in and the grip safety must be depressed. So, I am now sure it is an Astra 400.

Thanks for your help,

Joburg Dan