ASTRA-Unceta y Cia S.A cal .22short

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tonibrindisi, Oct 23, 2006.

1. tonibrindisi

tonibrindisi New Member

I´m looking for information pocket pistol made in Spain.
    Mark is Astra Cal.22 Short and the serial number 75xxx.
    Manufacturer is Unceta y Cia, Guernica. Look like this but cal. is .22 short. Any information of manufacturing time, model and details are welcome.Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Toni is it's overall lenth 6.25 inches or 4.5 inches
  3. tonibrindisi

tonibrindisi New Member

overall 4,5 inch. It look a like exactly this "colt jr." but it´s pearl stock not wood and without colt mark in the stock (or anywhere). Manufacturer is not Colt.

Attached Files:

4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Toni......welcome to TFF.

What you've got looks like an Astra 2000 Cub. Made in .22 short or .25 ACP from 1954 to 1998. Importation stopped in in 1968.

Astra also made about 2000 model 2000 Cubs for Colt, which Colt sold as the Colt Jr. Model.

Blue Book value:

98% - $190
    95% - $140
    90% - $115
    80% - $95
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Toni, does the pistol have an external hammer, like the little 'Colta', or a grip safety, like the first pic?
    The pearl handled pistol with the grip safety is an Astra Firecat, an Eibar 'knock off' of a 1906 Browning design. I've seen them in both .22 short, and .25 acp.
    Hope this helps.
  6. tonibrindisi

tonibrindisi New Member

any idea of manufacturing time?

Stash, yeah, pistol have an external hammer like below photo (colt jr.) just same (hole in the middle of hammer). Only safety is left side of pistol (than both pictures). Cal is .22 short. So probaply not FIRECAT, pistol in first picture is Firecat, I think.

I know of course, it´s good old browning-type of gun, called "baby browning" or "mini browning". Gun have been made in Spain (not in USA) and looks quite well made. Have you any idea of manufacturing time? I can´t identify what is material of pearl handle, is it plastic or not, however some syntetic material, unfortunately not an elephant bone :(
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  7. gantonio

gantonio New Member

Les envio una foto de una ASTRA 7000 Cal. 22 Lr

Here you are an ASTRA picture

Another picture

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The Firecat was never made in .22 short. The Astra 7000 is an updated version in .22lr. It is not available in the US.
    XRacer's information is correct. The grips are plastic.
    Bill
  9. Astra-cub

Astra-cub New Member

Hi Toni

I have a astra -cub .22 short cal. pistol s/n. 15xxxx since early 2003. I have fired over 200 rounds with about 10 errors. The errors all seems to be linked to the fact that the Retractor pin could be chiped and does not allways remove the spend carrtirage/shell. This could also resulted as the pistol have not been cleaned for a long time when I got it. For the last 150 ronds this error did not occur again. On my pistol the barrel have lossen up a bit and cuases it not to be that acurrute to a degree. Up to 15 metre I will stop you dead, more you may live.

I use 'Winchester Super X' rim fire ammo.
    I know for sure that my pistol is made in the late 1970's and was shiped with two clips. I've spoken to a gumsmith in South Africa for a 10+ round clip, but were told that could be bad for the gun (presure in clip)

I use my gun for self defence as I do some News photography in not so safe places.

Hope this help

Riaan

Attached Files:

10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Welcome, Astra-cub!

My only prayer for you is if you ever need to use it for self defense, your "Better than Nothing" .22 short Cub is adequate!:cool:

If I were you I just might consider "upgunning" to a little bigger primary weapon if you are in such an unsafe line of work, and keeping the Cub with you as a "back-up..."

In the meantime, please practice as MUCH as you can, until you can GUARANTEE putting the first round fairly quickly, from a draw from where you ACTUALLY carry it, between the eyes on a silhouette target at 5-10 feet!

That is about the only "practical" exercise I would attempt with it, but if you get GOOD with it, that skill alone could save your life, and the size of the round doing the work then becomes irrelevant...
  11. Welcome to TFF, Toni! Glad to have you with us.

The very small .22 and .25 auto pistols, like the Astra, remain popular despite their inadequate calibers, mostly because they are so very easily concealable. Indeed, I own a Beretta 21 in .25 ACP that I will occassionally carry if I simply must use a super small pistol. More often though, I will carry a Beretta Tomcat in .32 caliber instead. It's only a very small amount larger, and while the .32 is far from a good stopper, it's better than a .22. ;)
  12. Obaidullah Sarteray

Obaidullah Sarteray New Member

Dear Toni
    i saw your post I also want to have some information about Astra-unicta or something like that actully the pistol i own is made in spain in my grand father owned it some 32 Years ago can anyone tell me What is the Text Cia on it please
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Obaidullah, and Toni, best regards;
    The firsy pic in this thread, was a 'baby browning' or 'knock off' of the same, which was common, in the thirties, from which the pistol dates, all in .25ACP; never seen one in .22 short.
    Second pic was an astra built firecat, or colt, which was built in both calibers, a fact of which I am certain, because I have owned and shot both, in both labels.
    Were I in a situation where this was the limit, in size, or caliber, that I could carry, I would look to th vz1933/vz1945 Czech pistols, both 'double action only' arms, thinner than either of these, with 'second strike' capability.
    I own enough larger (.380, and up) caliber pistols, so as to make this 'size' factor, almost moot, as they are scarcely larger arms, with far more power, in many cases.
    But, if I had to go with a mouse caliber, it would be the CZ, in .25 auto, or a TPH Walther, in the same caliber, out of reliability,alone.
  14. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

Astra 200 Firecat .22 Short caliber pistol. Pre-1968 pocket pistol in excellent condition with beautiful stag grips. $349.95 Item# PR10116 Request Info
    AT COLLECTORS FIREARMS
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  15. Bill DeShivs

Luis
    Your picture is not of a "Firecat." It is an Astra "Cub."
    The first picture in this thread id the Firecat-very similar, but the Firecat has an internal hammer and was only available in .25 ACP.
  16. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

Engraved Astra 200 Firecat 25 acp ...Pre 1968

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  17. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

18. Bill DeShivs

Luis
    Your link does not work.
    As I said before, the Firecat was only offered in .25 ACP, the Cub in .25 and .22 short.
  19. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

To V.I.P Member Bill Deshivs

Please see for yourself
    Astra 200 Firecat cal 22 short

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis
  20. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member