ATF shipping requirements

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Randy1944, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Randy1944

Randy1944 New Member

Does the ATF prevent shipping a rifle(43") thru the Post Office? The Post Office allows it if not against ATF and local or state laws. Thanks
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Nope.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps

Q: May a nonlicensee (THAT'S YOU) ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State (THAT MEANS IF IT IS GOING OUT OF STATE IT MUST GO TO SOMEONE WITH AN FFL). A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

You can (and I have) ship to yourself, for pick up at the post office.

Pops
  4. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

My, have things have changed !! Once sent a barreled action to Remington via parcel post with no problems ! Got one back the same way - plus the salvage barrel.... >MW
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Somewhere in the law there is an exclusion for shipping to the factory or factory authorized repair facility and for them to ship back to you.

Pops
  6. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

I'll take the obvious opportunity to put in a good word for Remington. My event happened some 20 years' back but I've still got the "good taste" in my mouth. Not only did they fix my "screw up " for free and sent back the used barrel, what I got back was an "tuned/accurized" barreled action......that shot - and still shoots - significantly better than what I sent with the same handload recipes..... >MW
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Millwright, nothing has changed. You can still post (mail) your rifle or shotgun back to the factory. The factory has an FFL. You just can't mail a pistol.

The factory or the "factory authorized repair facility" (read "gunsmith") has an FFL. You can send your gun directly to an FFL. You can mail your rifle or shotgun, but you can't mail your pistol.

They can send it back to you, instead of having to send to an FFL, because there is no "transfer" taking place. It is your gun, coming back to you.
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I assume you mean a handgun cannot be shipped thru the mail by a non ffl. Because an ffl can ship handguns by mail.