ATI FX GI

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by yetiman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Well I have gone and done it.....bought the ATI (philipino) 1911 today. I realy liked the looks of this firearm. Shot about half a box and as you can see my shots are all over the place. I was shaking a little. Anyway, got the gun, background ck, 2 boxes ammo and tax for $488, thought that was a good deal from a local store. :D

Attached Files:

2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Very Nice! I bet she settles down real well after a few more visits to the range.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Love the commanders. Once you get used to it those groups will shrink up.
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

nice! I've been looking for one locally and at shows I am stuck between this one and the american classic commander... but havnt seen either in person how's the fit and finish?
  5. yetiman

yetiman New Member

It's no Colt but it is nice for the money. Needs to have some serious plinking done before I make my final judgment.
  6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I picked up a blued American Classic Commander last month and I'm impressed with it. Fit & finish is very, very good - literally no play in the slide to frame fit as well. Ran 100 rounds of Blazer aluminum and 25 rounds of mixed JHPs through it on the first range trip and it performed 100% - and it shot to POA. I have more expensive 1911s, not sure I have one that shoots better...

[​IMG]
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yea, I have a stainless titan in stock I am pretty impressed with the fit and finish of these guns.

Attached Files:

8. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Well I used the 1911 today in the handgun certification class. Had only shot around 20 rounds through it on Friday.....not perfect but was super happy with the way I shot. Ended up getting 100% even though a couple hit at the far ends of the blue.

Attached Files:

9. hd49

hd49 New Member

Double D that is one nice looking 1911. To bad can't buy one in Ma. Not on the approved list.
  10. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Put a set of rubber grips on for kicks.........

Attached Files:

11. Clipper

Clipper Member

I am glad that you posted that stainless Titan photo, I have the twin and it has been a good companion. I don't really care for the guide rod and spring, probably will swap it out with the Colt Defender guide rod and spring. I have a Chip McCormick mag but someone has the original magazine that came with the gun, must have left it at the range, so does Double D have a similar mag with the floor plate available?
  12. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Update on the ATI. I shot a couple of mags and noticed the thumb safety had fallen off, the pin that holds the beaver tail on broke on the switch side. I took it back where I bought it and the owner looked at it, called ATI and they are sending replacement part. He said he would polish the slide and injector port for me since this happened. It is bad that this happened but it is good when you get great customer service....hard to get that from an online auction style seller......
  13. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Kinda bummed.....still w/o my 1911. ATI sent the safety but forgot the pin and spring assembly. The gunsmith was going to fit another pin in from a donor gun that was in for repair until the new one came in. The pin that pushes against the slide lock would not go through the tube. I told him that I did not remember there being a pin holding against that lock.....all the times I took it apart to clean it I should have remembered that. He took a new gun apart and it still would not go through....it would start from the outside.... He thinks the tube is bad and that this could have caused the safety to have broken in the first place......said he would get ATI to send new tube. Does anyone else see the extra tension on this tiny spring being the culprit? Guess I should have looked at earlier post....can see it in the picture resting against the lock....
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  14. H-D

H-D Active Member

If the plunger tube didn't have the spring and plungers in it the slide stop would have been bouncing up and down and the thumb safety too