1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Atom Or Nuclear, The Difference Is?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by durk, Jun 24, 2008.

1. durk

durk New Member

OK, what is the difference if any, between an atom and nuclear bomb? For example. If an atom bomb was dropped on city A? If a nuclear bomb was dropped on city B? Which residents or rescue workers would be able to return to their cities the quickest without radiation repercussions?
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The spelling is different.

Actually, "atom bomb" refers to only one type of nuclear bomb. "Nuclear" refers to the family of such weapons: atomic, hydrogen, neutron, etc. Thus,
    you would have to further define which type nuclear bomb it was.

Pops
  3. Durk, there are two basic types of nuclear bomb. The simpler is what is known as a fission bomb which is triggered by splitting atoms through an implosion process, usually heavy ones like Uranium 235, which in turn causes a chain reaction release of neutron particles, which in turn, causes additional atoms to split and so on, a process that takes only micro seconds in practice. When the atoms are split, energy in the form of heat and radiation is released producing the explosion. This is the type of bomb used to destroy Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WWII. The other type is known as a fusion or thermonuclear bomb and is the type used today for most nuclear weapons, at least those in use by major powers, except for some of the less-powerful "tactical" nukes. Producing a thermonuclear explosion is a much more sophisticated process, but essentially involves not the splitting of atoms, but the fusing of atoms, usually hydrogen, together. It produces a MUCH more powerful explosion, but also requires enormous heat to initiate. That heat is basically produced by a fission bomb that is used as the trigger for the thermonuclear device.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Well said, P-schutze!
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I think I shall go fission tomorrow.
  6. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

7. You know, Tranter, people have been justifiably shot at sunrise for puns like that. :D;):p The only cure for puns is, of course more puns! :D;)

Hangover: The wrath of grapes.

Income Tax: Capital punishment.

A used car is not always what it's jacked up to be.

Two silkworms were in a race. They ended up in a tie.

To my sweetheart: My cooking's gotten better since I fondue.

A robber broke into the police station and stole all the toilet seats, and the police didn't have anything to go on.

Middle Age: When actions creak louder than words.

Egotist: One who is me-deep in conversation.

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused his dentist's Novocain during root canal work? He wanted to transcend dental medication.

Did you hear about the woman who started dating rakes and fell on hard tines?

Why won't melons elope in Las Vegas? They cantaloupe.

Q: What do Christmas and a crab on the beach have in common? A: They both involve sandy claws.

Archeologist: A man whose career lies in ruins.

Kleptomaniac: One who can't help himself from helping himself.

Did you hear about the snake who gave birth to a bouncing baby boa?

Once I got angry at the chef of an Italian restaurant, so I gave him a pizza my mind.

The fish secretary lodged herself in a pipe and could no longer type. Her doctor said, "This is a clear case of 'Carp in tunnel' syndrome."

A friend of mine who commutes to work everyday through the Lincoln Tunnel with a bunch of co- workers recently complained about what a pain it was. I told him that he may have a bad case of "car pool tunnel syndrome."

California smog test: Can UCLA?

The competition at a local dog show was quite "Ruff"

Q: How did the pig with laryngitis feel? A: Dis-gruntled.
  8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

Someone who lays awake at night wondering if there really is a dog...
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Pistolen, what time does the sun come up in your neck of the woods? I want to be there when you get your comeuppance. :p

Pops
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thank you gentlemen for a really good laugh this evening.

I shall not even attempt to top you. :)

Perhaps a short true tale, though off thread, of my first visit to a US training range. Walking with an instructor close to the ranges a few shots hit the ground only a few feet from us. I calmly pointed out that someone seemed to be shooting in our direction. He said not too worry, if the trainees hit us it would only be by accident.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  11. durk

durk New Member

Pistol, this is the answer I was hoping for. What is the time frame people can return to the bomb site in relation to each separate bomb?

The reason I started this thread was my son & I were talking about a video game (of all things) and somehow it got too he said the USA was the only country to use a nuke on another country. Then I said "wait just a d**mn minute"! Have you ever heard of a little place called Pearl Harbor?? It's not the fault of the USA that Japan brought a knife to a gun fight. I think, he seems to think that the bombs used in Japan are of the same caliber as the warheads pointed at are enemies today.

I think the Lib teachers had got to him.:mad: