Attempting to Conceal

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by RayD, Jul 16, 2011.

1. RayD

RayD New Member

Hello everyone! I am new to the CCW, as a 5'2 and 120lbs female who had just purchased the Ruger LC9 and having a hard time actually concealing on my person, and is open for suggestions....I would rather not carry in my purse if possible. I am beginning to wonder if I am going to have go to a smaller gun size such as the LCP. Thanks for any help! :)
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF and always good to have another lady onboard.
    What holster are you using? What is your desired carry method, IWB, strongside, shoulder?

A KangarooCarry.com rig may be something that would work for you.

What area of the country are you in, clothing choices and comfort can vary drastically. Down here in TX where it's been 100+ for 28 days is not very suitable for trying to carry a large gun under clothing, IWB and a smaller gun are what most folks opt for during the summer here.

Hope this helps you some,

Woolley
  3. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

Yes. My wife carries an LCP in her cargo shorts pockets in summer. She buys her shorts in Men's dept. She wears a size 10 womens, I don't know what she gets in mens size. She can and does carry my KT P-11 from time to time. You will learn to dress to carry over time. Large shirts, baggy pants, etc. She also has a flat fanny pack women's purse she wears facing front.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

This is allways a tuff question for an individual to answer. It's tuff for a man and I say twice as hard for a woman. You guys have so many options for clothing. I would check with Dillon reloading. They allways send me a catalog with women packing. Probably get some ideas there. But as someone else said baggy cloths help.
  5. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Hi and welcome, RayD. I carry my LC9 in An Uncle Mike's #4 pocket holster, in
    my right front pocket. I'm a foot taller and over 100 pounds heavier, though.
    The method for concealing really depends a lot on what type of clothing you
    normally wear.

I know a nurse, about your size that carries a similar size gun in a belly band
    holster, under her scrub shirt. Her department manager wears a blazer and
    prefers a shoulder holster for a larger pistol.

The Ruger LC9 is a good choice; powerful, easy to shoot and reliable.
  6. RayD

RayD New Member

Thank you....I am actually in South FL, so yeah the light clothing is the order of the day and I tried the IWB yesterday in the front and that definitely didn't hide anything, looked like I was going to give birth to a gun more then anything....I was thinking about the belly band also, and how funny as I am also a nurse! I do love my LC9 and was hoping to use it as my carry gun. Thanks for the suggestions!
  7. ka64

ka64 Active Member

I know allot of women in the summer who use fanny packs, being your in FL. you might get away with it longer.

Personally I am a believer of several different holsters depending on the circumstances.

My wife tells me I have more holsters than I do shoes.

Welcome to the Club.
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad your not purse carrying. I saw a girl on youtube had made some videos to help women conceal their firearm and seemed to have some good ideas. Go to youtube and look for her. I cant remember her name. But, I believe if your going to carry, it should be on your person if possible. I have a holster called "thunderwear" that might help. Try http://thunderwear.com/ Good luck and welcome aboard!
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  9. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

10. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I think it's the right idea to get the LCP anyway. You certainly can find ways to carry it. It's the least powerful cartridge that I would consider, but it's still a 90 or so grain bullet going about 1,000 fps.
    I was in a similar quandary, trying to think of how to hide a Glock 19 in a desert climate. The LCP just slips into a pocket, in a cheap little pocket holster. When I'm in a nervous place, it's oh so easy to just slip the hand in the pocket, and have that little thing at the ready.
    If you do find a way to carry the bigger gun, the LCP remains as the BUG, and a viable alternative for minimal clothing.
  11. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We life in SC where heat and humidity are real problems as well. Shorts & "t"'s are the most common type of casual wear here.

My wife (5' 10" #135) primarily uses either a cheap Blackhawk or UM's IWB to carry here 24/7 Pro C 40sw. Her primary carry position is 1 oclock and you cannot see ANYTHING! (She also uses a CBST from ttt @ 2:30 that conceals extremely well.)

If you carry at work wearing scrubs, I think the "Smartcarry" is very hard to beat. They are a whole LOT more comfortable and cooler than a "BB" IMHO. (This is the method a lot of nurses prefer; and when worn properly is almost impossible to detect.)

Being new to CC, I think you just might be a liitle self-concious. It's not uncommon to feel your firearm stands out like a sore thumb when you first start carrying. But, it usually goes away after you become more experienced and more comfortable.

If you really are concerned try to post a few pictures of you wearing your normal clothing and carrying methods. This might make it easier to offer suggestions that will make you feel more comfortable.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  12. RayD

RayD New Member

I actually already have the LCP I only fired it a couple of times one day at the range....but the LC9 was the first gun I had bought myself and have fired it frequently and became pretty accurate with it,so I have a strange attachment to it :D, I am checking out the above mentioned and will use LCP more frequently, especially in July in south FL! Thanks everyone for the help!
  13. dbennett48

dbennett48 New Member

I am glad others have chosen the LC9 as a Carry gun. I bought one for that purpose, when I get the CCW. I like the smaller size gun compared to the Glock 26, which I have also. I am looking forward to firing this gun, on Thursday evening, when I am allowed to pick it up.

Dave
  14. RayD

RayD New Member

Just picked up a Glock 30 SF yesterday, went straight to the range afterwards and it was an accurate shot and any easy to use, it was my first time to shoot a Glock. It won't be my CCW as I am definitely unable to conceal that one!
  15. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

well ray in south Fl you always have loose clothes so i carry at almost any position without bulge with an iwb and it doesnt sweat . shoulder rig doesnt do well in Tampas climate i found . good luck to you and dont know how far south you are but be safe.Oh yea, I couldnt cut it in Tampas humid climate so i moved to the california desert. Same thing only dry.and no RAIN! LOL
  16. langenc

langenc Member

I dont know about for an LC9 but I use a clipdraw.com for a J frame.

Might take a look and contact clipdraw and see what he says -about making them.

Many will say-not safe!!

It is IWB (with a belt-the only way I do). After wearing for a while you will have to feel to see if you put the gun on this AM. Great with shorts/t shirt-or female equivalent. May necessitate a size bigger in your wardrobe (pant)-dont wear dresses so I dont know about that..
  17. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Bianchi made a very well thought out fanny pack that was designed for CCW..I checked their web site, but dont see it there any longer...They are advertised on Ebay and some other places...Comes in different colors, pink, black, green etc..No need to un zip the pack to reach handgun as it has an opening that you may quickly slip your hand...built in holster for differnt size pistols or revolvers..

You may want to take a look at a bra holser also...

Suggest you check your local police supply dealers as they usually have the latest concealment holsters...You can see before you buy and they will prob let your try it on for comfort..
  18. RayD

RayD New Member

Thanks for the great ideas! :)