Attn: All Waterfowl Hunters

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

reedbuster
    (6/24/01 1:30:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Attn: All Waterfowl Hunters
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well now, Its that time of year to start with the detail work. There is alot to do and only a very few weekends left before the fun starts. I usually start simple. Today I plan on dragging out the decoys and starting maintenance (new rigging,paint etc...) I often wonder though, I'm I the only nut doing this? Its only the end of June. This may mean I am Addicted...
    Is that a pickle in your pocket? .....

44rugerfan
    (6/24/01 3:14:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Attn: All Waterfowl Hunters
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I like waterfowling. But I don't think I could spend the two or three thousand dollars to get a good spread going. Luckily, I have a good friend who already has. Just help him set up for two hours before and tear down for two hours after, and in between I can shoot the dreaded sky carp.
    Hunt. Kill. Repeat.

AntiqueDr
    (6/24/01 3:30:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Attn: All Waterfowl Hunters
    I havent been waterfowl hunting since they passed the steel shot rules. I have a beautiful Diana Superposed 30" F/IM that just sits, now. Sigh.

I guess I might have to keep one of these 1100's or 870's I've been selling.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

reedbuster
    (6/24/01 5:29:06 pm)
    AntiqueDr,
    I hate to see a fine shogun like that sit idle. I've got a Beretta BL-5 like that. It has been reduced to shooting doves and the occasional pheasant.

kdubaz
    (6/24/01 5:57:23 pm)
    Yup -

Same with my Citori - made prior to adjustable chokes and steel shot. Last used for quail some years ago. Now, the legs can't take the broken terrain and pucker brush to chase after them.

Last time I did any skybustin' was down near Columbia in the rice fields west of you, Doc. Laying flat in the drained field wearing a sheet and shooting straight up with a 3" mag while the shoulder was anchored in the dirt wasn't all it cracked up to be! Sure got lots of snows and blues, tho!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

reedbuster
    (6/25/01 9:30:44 am)
    44Rurgerfan, When I used to not have a big setup this is what I did. Hunting Wyo., you should see similar things that I see in No. Colo.. We shoot alot of potholes and jumpshoot teal off of an irrigation ditch. Years ago my brothers and I divised what we call the "pothole party pac" 3 drake and 3 hen mallard standard decoys. Split a dozen G&H with someone. Use your old dufflebag to slog them around. Early in the season you may use all 6, But late in the season I have shot limits several times over 1 hen mallard decoy. Always looks funny when you leave you vehic with 1 decoy under your arm. The best call in my opinion is called a Cajun call. (Lake Charles, LA.) They only cost around 13.00 including shipping. (Just got my nephew one) Really loud and you dont need alot of air to push one. The one I blow is twenty years old. Good Luck!

P.S. Those 6 in one teal whistles work great.

Edited by: reedbuster at: 6/26/01 2:31:57 am

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/7/01 12:09:53 am)
    Time to get your blind in order, got just enough time to get it in the ground and get vegitation moved around befor it freezes in. Only 25 days till we can shoot the dreaded flying liver!!!
    Is that a pickle in your pocket???........

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/7/01 8:19:30 am)
    Well, liver bags be damned, good luck. I`m waiting for October`s cooler weather and the start of squirrel season. Then mix in a few hogs and may even try a deer this year, even though they don`t excite me anymore......May hunt the deer with a BP rifle. Hunting season is close and I`m getting restless, my first adventure of the year starts in October, 10 days of hunting, fishing, eating and dominoe drinkin......A few lies by the fire................ LTS
    "am not" R2

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/7/01 8:33:27 am)
    LTS, What are the directions to your hunt camp? lol!! Sounds like a good time coming up! We do the same at our camp. Time to start getting ready.

kdubaz
    (8/7/01 4:17:12 pm)
    Dove season opens here Sept 1st - used to sound like a banana revolution going on with the dairy farms feed lots scattered around in the rural areas. Damned town growths have closed a lot of them, or the cities have extended their limits out to where you can't shoot for miles around, anymore. Danged people!!!

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/8/01 1:04:26 am)
    Now I know you Texas boys can sure shoot dove!!!
    Whats yer best recipe? We usually just wrap them in peppered bacon along side a jolliepeno an que em, Mouthwatering
    Is that a pickle in your pocket???........

kdubaz
    (8/8/01 3:37:42 pm)
    Reedbuster -

That always works for me - along with a nice tall frosty one! Slit the breast on each side, insert pepper, wrap with bacon, toss 'um on the grill and pig out!

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/16/01 12:58:31 pm)
    Well, shucks. If steel shot and big dekes are a bother, just go read the post about "ugly duck hunters" over on Matthew's board. (Kdubya put me up to it!)

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/16/01 2:33:04 pm)
    32, read that this morning, almost spit coffee out at the end.....To MUch gUN!!!! hehehehehehehehe
    "am not" R2

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/19/01 1:28:11 am)
    That is a funny story oldguide, thanks for sharing.